Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
need some help!
need some help!
Food, Diet
Sep 22 2014
12:41:02 AM
Okay this is a touchy subject that being said please only positive things.

To make a long story short. I was diagnosed with stage 4 bone cancer. I have 2 gliders pipsqueak and Dixie. I am currently using the HPW complete diet. Well unfortunately the cancer has advanced to the point where cutting up the veggies/fruits is almost impossible. My question to everyone out there is I can mix up the ice cream mixture I'm fine with doing. I would like to keep that part of the diet. I don't want to put them on a all pellet diet. That is NOT a option, is there a way that I can give them their fruits and veggies in a pellet that I can give them along with the HPW ice cream part. I do pour a little bit of papaya "gravy" over their fruits/veggies to give it a little zing to it so they will eat all their fruits/veggies.

BTW finding homes for them right now is not going to happen! They come over to me on my hospital bed w/me every afternoon and use me as a jungle gym lol! They love to try to unhook the Velcro on my neck brace.

Any advice would be appreciated. Please keep all advice nice and helpful.

Also has anyone heard of the smart HPW diet that comes with the pellets that came out?
Food, Diet
Sep 22 2014
08:15:37 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
I am SO sorry that you are having to go through this. It is commendable that you are doing everything you can for your glider angels.

Do you have anyone who comes to help you on occasion that could chop up the veggies and fruits in bulk and refrigerate or freeze? Some gliders do ok with frozen veggies and fruits in the pre-chopped/prepared size. Your gliders may not be used to that and might have an adjustment, but it is always said that a healthy glider will not starve itself.

I know that the usual method for this diet has the f/v offered on the side...but, can you add some of them to the blender with your staple mix and freeze it? That method HAS to be better than offering a pellet supplement. As I said...it isn't the way the diet is written but there are some that include the f/v being added to the frozen mixture before freezing so it might be possible as an option in your situation.

I understand that your gliders are very important to you and are being so loving and comforting...it is amazing how they soothe our hearts. Are you able to take the time now to prepare a trusted family member or friend on how to take care of them properly in the even that you may be away from them?

Best wishes and much love to you.
Food, Diet
Sep 22 2014
08:19:36 AM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
You may have tried this already, but I'll ask: can you have someone cutting the fruits for you? They don't have to do it everyday, once a week should be fine. The person only need to cut enough for the week, and you can freeze the fruits and veggies afterwards, taking them out to thaw some before it is their feeding time.

The other thing is that you can always buy frozen fruits and veggies from the store that are already chopped up and follow the same procedure. They also sell salads (mine like mixed green) that you don't need to chopped up at all (just make sure the salad does not contain onions and such). You could also blend it all (since you said you are fine with blending, and serve the blend of fruits and veggies along with the HPW).

Pellets is something you only want to offer as a snack during the day, when they sleep, in case they happen to wake it hungry; it is not a main source of their diet, and I don't think there is anyway to replace their fruits and veggies with pellets.

Sorry to hear about your condition. I understand how helpful an animal companion can be. For emergencies, in which you can't take care of them, do you have someone that can do it for you (at least preparing their meals)? A neighbor or family member could do that easily, specially if you are keeping everything frozen. Just some advice.

Hope this is helpful.
Food, Diet
Sep 22 2014
08:22:45 AM
And again Blue and I are at it, answering almost exactly the same way

Blue, you and I should try work logistics

But yes, as Blue said, there maybe an adjusting time, but they should get used to it without much trouble.
Food, Diet
Sep 22 2014
09:24:54 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
I am truly sorry you are going through this and will keep you in my prayers.

Smart HPW is really the same product as HPW Complete - just re-labeled to make it appear to be made by vets pride. It is probably more cost effective to get HPW Complete from CritterLove.com.

Gliders digestive systems are just not designed to process dry pellet food and the pellets are mostly fillers, and would not substitute for fruits and vegetables.

As stated, you can have someone help you with cutting up the fruits and vegetables and freezing them once every few weeks.

My suggestion is to have someone cut up a wide variety of fruits and vegetables and put 2 TBS fruit and 2 TBS vegetables in each well of a muffin pan (or the individual silicone muffin cups available at places like Bed Bath & Beyond) Then have them measure the 2 TBS of the prepared HPW Complete over the vegetables. The pans can then be put in the freezer until frozen solid.

After the meals are frozen in a muffin pan, they can be popped out and stored in a zip lock bag.

This would provide an entire feeding for Pipsqueak and Dixie each night all in one pre-measured meal. You would just need to put it in their dish - it will thaw quickly for them to eat over night.

If you can tell us where you are located, perhaps there will be other glider owners near you that might be able to help with the preparation of fruits and vegetables for your gliders.

Food, Diet
Sep 22 2014
12:40:50 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Excellent suggestions as to location. The glider community are a helpful bunch of folks!!! I met a friend here who lives 45 minutes away. She has become the 'god mother' of my gliders in case I become unable to care for them.

Yes, it seems that Rusty, Candy and I are on at the same time more often than not, typing and replying at the same time and creating a thread that looks like we're repeating each other!
Food, Diet
Sep 22 2014
01:21:38 PM
tampage Starting Member 3 Posts
Thanks guys! I did the V8 thump on the head thing lol! I never thought to do that. My only problem with that is I am always getting to much of the veggies/fruit. My gliders barely eat a TSP of each thing. They have been taken to the vet and she said they are doing excellent. I do 2 mixtures a month of fruits and vegetables. Can someone give me mixture that they use that would be easy for me to chop.

I was also told not to use frozen veggies in the bag. That would be so easy for me to do.

And to answer the question that I believe one person asked but I know everyone is thinking. Yes, well sort of kind of lol. I do have a couple of people that will take them. My 16 yr old daughter, yes believe it or not, she adores them. She does most of the chopping but I kind of ruined it for her. Like I said I do way to much at one time. So she actually hates that part of it lol! The gliders are so attached to her that when she comes home from school/practices it doesn't matter what time it is they start barking and climbing over each other to get to her. She loves him cleans their tray 2 times a week and completely washes out their cage once a week. She even hand makes their toys. And yes she is only 16. But I'm running into the problem of my mom. The kids will be moving in with them. Well my mom won't even peek in their pouch to look the cuties. She calls them flying rodents lol! So I'll keep everyone updated on that.

So after all that you didn't need to know stuff lol! What I need to know from everyone is it safe to use the frozen fruits/veggies? I know that I shouldn't get the no salt/sugar ones right? And is it safe to do a months worth of them? If so, how many bags should I use? Its due for me to do the food anyway so I think I am going to definitely do the silicon muffin pan thing.

I do 2 mixtures of veggies and 2 of fruits so they don't get sick of the same thing. So if someone could give me some ideas on what mixtures they use.

And the last suggestion I need is I put the papaya "gravy" on their fruits veggies. I don't think that would very tasteful. I give them pellets to snack on during the day. Should I put them on the pellets that they have during the day?
Food, Diet
Sep 22 2014
01:35:57 PM
tampage Starting Member 3 Posts
BTW my location is Timmonsville, South Carolina. I also wouldn't mind if someone near here who is glider experienced that would be interested in adopting or even be the look out for my daughter if she has any questions.

I do appreciate all the thoughts and prayers from everyone. But I'll let you guys in on a little secret. I don't know who enjoys the free time. Pipsqueak and Dixie or me. Lol!
Food, Diet
Sep 22 2014
01:53:38 PM
Unfortunately I do not know anyone from SC.

Frozen fruits and veggies are ok (and you are aware that it does not to be salted or spiced in anyway, so that is good).

The pellets is better if you serve them as they are, without adding anything to them. Many agree that chewing on something hard, helps simulate the chewing they do on bark (in order to get to the sap) and also keeps their teeth clean.

With the fruits and veggies, they only thing you need to keep in mind is that the recommended Ca:P ratio is 2:1. Candy has a list of safe fruits and veggies that has the ratios for each, you may find it here:

www.gliderkids-diet.com/FruitVegLIST2011.pdf

As long as you are offering a wide variety of fruits and veggies, the ratios should balance out.

Frozen fruits and veggies can keep for a long time, they may loose some of the nutritional value, but is not something so significant that they won't be getting what they need. To help preserve these nutrients is better if you let them thaw instead of boiling the fruits and veggies. Don't worry, frozen veggies thaw fast, and gliders have no problem consuming it.

My gliders prefer veggies over fruits. They love okra, snap peas, parsley, and many other. Presentation does seem to impact their preferences (little brats ), so trying different presentations should help consuming more of their food.
need some help!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
need some help!