Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Possibly abused baby - help
Question
Oct 23 2014
05:03:35 PM
So I got a baby (3 months pop) from a careless owner who didn't want her...
So she's deign fine now physically, but I think she is mentally damaged...
She carbs at me and has bit me multiple times... hard... through my fingernail...
This makes me think she was abused before...

I want to know the bast way of helping her get mentally better.
She does have a cage mate who she attaches herself to.

I will do anything for her.
And I am not giving up on her!
Question
Oct 23 2014
08:00:58 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Time and lots and lots of patience.

I have a glider that came to me from a rescue. I believe someone had teased her with treats. Every time I offered her a treat she would frantically grab at it with both hands and at the same time lunge to try and get it with her teeth. The result of her efforts usually either knocked it out of my finger tips or she would miss the treat and bite my finger enough to bleed. It took a long time for her to understand that if I offered her a treat it was hers to enjoy.

Try using a popsicle stick for treats your glider can lick off like yogurt, honey or baby food fruit. This will protect your fingers. You can also use one of those tiny spoons that ice cream stores use for samples (Baskin Robins has cute little pink ones). The little spoons will hold a piece of fruit or even a yogie to offer your glider.

As your glider gets used to your hands bringing yummy things, you can gradually move your fingers closer to the end of the stick or little spoon and eventually just offer treats with your hands. It took Dot about 6 months to learn to take a treat from my fingers gently. She would get excited now and then and still miss and end up biting my finger but it never seemed like she was biting just to be biting only if she thought the treat might disappear before she got it.

Just take things slowly with her. Sudden movements might frighten her. Try to stay calm around her too. Gliders sense when we are tense or afraid and react to our emotions too.

Question
Oct 24 2014
12:05:14 AM
Pandepon Glider Visit Pandepon's Photo Album 112 Posts
Any new glider will be scared and even bite.

I have 4 boys that I got 2 months ago who were actually spoiled rotten and were very tame with their previous owner. 3 of them bite me HARD and crab at me. The other one is so chill.

I have two girls. One came from an owner who full out neglected her. The other came from an owner who loved her but couldn't keep her. Both girls did crab and bite and sometimes they still do but they are bonded to me.

I'm not going to say yours was abused, I'm not going to say she wasn't. All I'm going to say is she is scared and not used to you or her new home.

Just spend time with her in the bonding pouch, encourage her with treats, and greet her often.

I check on my gliders throughout the day and baby talk them
Question
Oct 25 2014
01:22:22 PM
mousemhl1993 Joey Visit mousemhl1993's Photo Album 24 Posts
thanks you two.
That popsicle idea is good! I will definitely try that.
Yah, I'm not sure if she was abused... but she has some characteristic of it.

But I have been noticing some improvements. :)

Any other suggestions??? I'm up for anything to help her :)
Question
Oct 25 2014
08:08:44 PM
AllieRyan Joey USA 37 Posts
I'm no expert.. In fact, I've had my gliders for less than a week, but I will say I bribe the heck out of them. I've been using unsweetened applesauce on my finger. They love it an have started to come to me for applesauce but the only drawback is I have to no when I need more applesauce or I get nipped.. Haha

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders