Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Neutering :( Help
Health related
Nov 05 2014
10:25:45 AM
Hello everyone, it’s been a while since I posted.

The day that the little one comes home with me is getting closer! And I’m feeling a bit nervous to be honest…

I’m worried that the little one and Meiko may not get along. I’m worried that they’ll fight. I’m worried that the smell may become unbearable. I’m worried about so many things…

My only solution to these worries is neutering…

I’m sure everyone here on GliderGossip have seen my posts about how PARANOID I am about neutering. I’m scared about self mutilation. I’m scared for the pain my babies might feel. I’m scared they may not like me after the procedure. I’m scared the anesthesia may affect them in the long run. I’m scared the operation might not be successful. I’m scared for everything…

For those of you that have had your gliders neutered, please tell me if these thoughts went through your mind and what made you decide to finally do it? The little one is coming soon and I need to decide if I’m going to neuter them or not… I just want to avoid fighting, dominance, and stench. Mainly stench…. Help? Is it a good idea? Or is it really not necessary
Health related
Nov 05 2014
10:52:23 AM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
I think is a good idea, especially if you have any females, breeding gliders is a lot of work and so much more stressing than neutering.

Fortunately for me, I did not go through so much stress since it had all been set up by my breeders, who had never experience major issues with neutering, and I also got to talk to the vet about the procedure, which made me feel a lot more comfortable about the matter.

Have you talk to the vet that will do the neutering? Anesthesia is done according to weight, many vets have a minimum weight they require in order to do surgery, if your little one is very little you may have to wait until he has gained some weight. It's better if he is above the required weight the vet accepts, and will create less complications and worries about anesthesia. For some gliders, anesthesia gives them nausea and they may throw up some once they wake up, but that is no reason for alarm, it is NORMAL. Just like humans, do not feed them anything in the morning that they are having the surgery if you want to lessen the possibility of them throwing up; still feed them as normal during the night of course, just, no snacks in the morning as some people do.

Your glider will NOT hate you for it, they are not really capable of such a thing. Many gliders don't even realized they've been neutered. They may clean the area of the surgery but don't immediately think is SM, they are just licking off the stuff vets use to clean the area, which to them is weird. Unless he focuses only on that area, and even takes the stitches off (if there are any stitches) there is no reason for concern. There is no even need of putting and e-collar or e-jacket on them, that usually only stresses them out; of course, it is always good to have one handy for any emergency, not only SM.

Neutering will help with all the reasons you mentioned: fighting, dominance, and stench. If he still hasn't sexually matured, he may never develop sexual interest, and in the future, if housed with a female, you can avoid having mating wounds done to her because of it.

As for introducing him to your established glider, just follow the recommended introduction methods, and if you have any questions post them in here, I am sure someone will be able to help you.

As I said, the most reassuring thing, at least for me, was to talk to the vet. If you don't feel comfortable with him/her, just find one that does. Though it may seem like there are many horror stories about neutering gone wrong, those cases are really not as common as you may think. Example: my breeders have probably neutered over 50 gliders in the years they've been breeders and rescuers, and the only gliders that had exhibited signs of trying to SM (they did not succeed in SM, because my breeders had e-jackets in hand) were gliders that already had a past of SM, and even they were fine after the procedure and some monitoring from my breeders.

Hope my rambling was helpful at all.
Health related
Nov 05 2014
11:07:55 AM
marisa0820 Super Glider Visit marisa0820's Photo Album marisa0820's Journal USA 222 Posts
Yes VERY helpful actually I still haven't consulted with the vet... There are 3 vets around me that see sugar gliders. I'm going to have to have a consultation with them and see if this is something I really want to do. I just hate to put them through something that they don't have a say so in. I wouldn't want to be unfair to them or put them in harms way I know I may seem as if I'm being a little dramatic or if I'm too worry-worry with them, but I only have their best interest at heart and I feel like I am not 100% educated about glider neutering and I want to be sure and get opinions from everyone who has had their gliders neutered. Mainly to put my mind at ease and know that it is not a bad thing... I think I'm going to finally muster up the courage to make a consultation appointment this weekend...
Health related
Nov 05 2014
11:45:58 AM
FairyGirl Glider Visit FairyGirl's Photo Album 95 Posts
I know you're not planning on breeding but I'm most people would agree that neutering any pet that can be neutered should be. Animals tend to hide pain better than most humans and for a few days of uncomfort it will be worth it to your pets. I read very few stories of neutering going wrong. And if the vets have laser surgery capabilities that it's even less of an inconvince and uncomfort to the animals.

I have a male and I can't wait to get him neutered. His pee is rank. I'm waiting to see if he and my female will have babies again since both died. I also hopes that neutering will mellow him out some... he earned the nickname "Monkey" because he acts crazy hyper.
Health related
Nov 05 2014
06:13:19 PM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Hello!
I have had both of my boys neutered. The first time I was so nervous I cried. The vet was wonderful and called me to let me know how well Gimli did. When I brought Gimli home,he was very sleepy and sluggish, and I fed him his tiny bit of pain killer (that the vet gave me)in a teaspoon of applesauce. Although I worried, he did great. No self mutilation. I think I kept him separate from the other gliders for a few days just to be safe. Gimli didn't seem mad or upset at me at all...in fact, he seemed glad to be with me. It was sweet to know I was comforting to him! I had given the vet a tank top with my scent on it for after the surgery, and they told me he went right to it and snuggled in (I choose to believe that!).
Also, my boys have little to no scent now. Bald spots are gone. I'm really glad I got them neutered.
Health related
Nov 05 2014
10:57:53 PM
Jon Brand Joey 46 Posts
In my case I never met them until after a neuter. WHo knows maybe that is why one of them is crabby? But I think you will do well and if your glider loves you like it sure sounds like he does, I truly believe he will continue to love you as soon as hes recovered, which should be maybe just a day or two. Get the neuter (hundreds and thousands have done it) and you will be happy and relieved.

I wish you the best!!
Health related
Nov 06 2014
10:52:32 PM
Pandepon Glider Visit Pandepon's Photo Album 112 Posts
The neuter shouldn't break the bond. I think it's an opportunity to get closer by feeding a lot of treats and comforting him.

Find a reputable doctor and do research on the best procedure. Laser seems to be the safest but research it. Also see if you can make a comfortable ecollar to prevent self mutilation.

A neuter can go wrong but I strongly advise you research doctors.

Health related
Nov 08 2014
01:26:07 PM
MJaneS Starting Member 1 Posts
I now have 4 gliders. My first one, Ebony in February. My second one was a Mosaic male and I knew that they would have babies and all. Just didn't know when and I just wanted one or two.

Well they gave me a single mosaic girlie and then next thing I know Ebony has another in the pouch. My male (Muzzie) was getting more and more food aggressive toward the others and all. I made the decision to get him neutered for 1 I didn't want inbreeding 2 he was getting more aggressive toward them (not me). 3 two babies were enough.

The procedure was very quick, he showed no signs of pain, was able to take him home the same day. He didn't know any different really. He's now way less food aggressive and still acts the same toward me. The smell, I haven't really taken a notice in difference.
Health related
Nov 08 2014
04:36:06 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
I do not think it is 100% necessary if you don't have any females, but the chances of two unneutered males fighting and harming each other is much higher. Say you had two unneutered brothers who grew up together- there's not a huge reason to get them neutered, unless the smell bothers you. We have had four unneutered males that we have gotten neutered. I never noticed them stinking any more when intact, but they usually stink awfully. If you have two stranger males that have scent glands they are fairly likely to fight; a sugar glider fight can be very hard to break up, is scary to watch and handle. you can get hurt rather badly, they can get hurt rather badly or even killed, etc. So if you have two stranger males, the decision is based on weighing the risk of something going wrong during neutering vs the risk of them harming each other.

Ours were all neutered because they are housed with females. Three of the four are brothers and were neutered so they didn't mate with their own mother. Our two babies got done today, actually. I've been extremely nervous and anxious all day, same as last time. So far they are fine. Last round, one didn't even know anything had happened to him and totally ignored it. The other was a little chewy at the vet so they sedated him even more, so that he was so high he couldn't chew on himself or feel pain (almost as much as when under anesthesia). He was fine. This round, it's our two three month olds. If something were to go wrong during the neuter, you'd feel awful and that it was unnecessary and oh why did you do that. If a fight happens during introductions and someone gets killed or badly hurt, you will say oh why didn't i get the neuter it wouldn't have been so bad. It can go either way =)

Good luck!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders