Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
NEW OWNER! Could use some bonding advice....
Question
Nov 05 2014
07:53:52 PM
I have 2 sugar gliders that I bought 1 month ago. They are now 13 weeks OOP and I am having a really hard time bonding with them. I am a stay at home mom so I send LOTS of time with them. I Glider proofed my 1/2 bathroom to use for play time instead of buying a tent. I wear them in a bonding pouch everyday. I give them treats :) I even have fleece sheets in there cage of my scent ( and my families).

I knew that bonding was going to be a process but 1 month later I still can't pick them up without getting bitten badly ( They draw blood every time). When they bite me they wont let go until I put them down. I'm not giving up but I wanted to see if anyone could offer some helpful advice :) I would greatly appreciate it.
Information
Nov 05 2014
11:00:05 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Rather than trying to pick them up, use treats to get them to come to your open hand. At first they will take the treat and run but gradually they will learn to trust your hands and stay there to eat the treat.

Many gliders are not fond of being picked up from above. They might do better if you slip a hand under them to lift them up. As prey animals a hand coming down from above them can be frightening.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders