Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Question about this summer
Question
Nov 06 2014
01:19:14 PM
This summer I have to have a different living situation than what I have had for the last 3 years. It will be for about 4 months and I am trying to make a plan for my girls that will be best for them. My question is, will sugar gliders be ok living in an insulated garage for a summer?? There would be cars parked in the garage, so a few times a day the cars would be started and backed out.
Question
Nov 06 2014
02:38:00 PM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
Well, there's several things you need to consider.

How is the lightning in the garage? Gliders need light to let them know when is time to sleep and when is time to wake up. Also, like humans they need sunlight, however little, to keep a healthy metabolism. I guess that if there is no way for light to filter in, you can leave a light on during the day, and turn it off at night. Not taking into consideration the fact that their sleep is going to be disturbed during the day by cars coming and going

Is the garage glider proof? Gliders are excellent escape artist, even if they have never escaped their cage before, there is always a chance for them to do it, and if the garage have holes or slits they can get through, they will most likely find them and get out, and out could be either inside the house or outside, both cases are dangerous. You also need to make sure there aren't thing around they can get hurt in, be it tools, dangerous substances, electrical outlets, etc, etc, etc... The best thing you can do would be to glider proof the garage, if at all possible.

Then there is the matter of temperature. Gliders are ok in temperatures of 65-90 F, but most people recommend not to let it go below 70 or above 85, especially if they are joeys. You should also keep into consideration humidity, if it gets too dry the tissue that form their ears will dry up, even fall off, and that doesn't grow back.

In general, I don't think is a good idea, but if you can change the ambient to make it more suitable for the gliders, may be you can try it out.

Remember, changes stress gliders out, and given how it seems like a lot of things will be changing, you would want to minimize such stress as much as possible.

Are there any other possibilities? A small room perhaps that will fit at least their cage?

Anyways, I hope you find this helpful.
Information
Nov 06 2014
03:01:43 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
I would NOT consider leaving the gliders in a garage.

There are just too many things that are not under control.

Most garages are also storage spaces. Way to many places for a glider to hide should it escape from the cage.

There are many dangers in most garages - chemicals for lawn care or insect control.

Vents to the outdoors for a dryer if the laundry machines are in the garage. The drain pipe for the washing machine is a hazard.

The opening of the door - will cause a sudden change in the room temperature.

VENTILATION - insulation might keep the room from getting too hot or too cold but without an AC vent there would be no air circulation in the room. Fumes from the cars after the engines are turned off. HOT ENGINES if the glider got out and came in contact with engine parts would be fatal.

INSECTS - would be attracted to the glider's food at night.

Just too many dangers.

Edited by - Candy on Nov 06 2014 03:02:16 PM
Question
Nov 06 2014
10:35:07 PM
Britt Joey 23 Posts
Thank you guys for your feedback. I'm just looking into all options!!! I am staying with a family friend for the summer and they have 3 cats and are also not used to have gliders in their house. My girls can get very noisy during the nights and I would hate to have the whole house woke up because of them :/. I think the only other option would be for them to stay with my parents for the summer. I will HATE not having them with me and will worry constantly about them, but I just don't see another option

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders