Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
is this noise normal?
is this noise normal?
Question
Nov 24 2014
02:58:43 AM
One of my two babies, possibly both, make this barkhisss noise. its a little bark and then a long hiss. Is this normal? thanks.
Question
Nov 24 2014
09:42:50 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
The long hiss followed by a short bark is one I have heard mostly from gliders that are in quarantine. It seems to be a call out to the other gliders they know are around somewhere.

Are your gliders sharing a cage? Is there anything new in their lives they might be reacting to.

Try to see what is going on around them when you hear the noise.
Question
Nov 24 2014
02:53:27 PM
pebblesandsmokey Joey 20 Posts
Thanks, they do share a cage and everything is the same. It's a cute little noise. I just hope it doesn't mean anything bad. I'll try to observe, but when I look at them, they stop what they're doing most of the time. :(
Question
Nov 24 2014
02:58:44 PM
beki516 Starting Member 7 Posts
I was recently told by someone on glider central that that is a sound a female makes to a male when in heat, but I don't have enough experience to verify that myself.
Question
Nov 24 2014
03:44:06 PM
Kris_N_Zoe Joey Visit Kris_N_Zoe's Photo Album TX, USA 34 Posts
Zoey has made the bark(squeak)-Hisssss, I believe she was in heat at the time. Not unusual.
Question
Nov 24 2014
08:51:31 PM
Is it unusual for a male? Mine are both male. :(
Question
Nov 24 2014
08:56:09 PM
Or at least I was told they were both neutered males...
Information
Nov 24 2014
10:57:09 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
How old are your joeys? How long have you had them? They may be missing their parents and calling out for them.

If your gliders are neutered males they will either have an empty pom or no pom at all. If there is a pom, feel it to see if they have been neutered. If they are intact the pom will contain two "BB"'s which are the testes. If the pom is empty they have been neutered. If there is no pom Look at their bellies and make sure there is no pouch to be sure you have neutered boys.

Question
Nov 25 2014
07:36:02 AM
They're at least 1 year. I've only had them for about a month now , and they've been from home to home. I'll try to see, but they don't like me touching them.
Question
Nov 25 2014
02:42:02 PM
beki516 Starting Member 7 Posts
Mine are both females and they were making the noise, so it may not be just a female -to-male noise.
Question
Nov 25 2014
11:40:33 PM
Brynn_Schubert Starting Member 8 Posts
I have two males and they make a sound like that when they try to steal each others food and eachothers toys, mine just use it as a playful fighting noise, you have nothing to worry about.
Question
Nov 27 2014
07:53:52 AM
Thank you!
is this noise normal?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
is this noise normal?