Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Glider Stories
Male Glider regression in the bonding process..?
Default, miscellaneous
Nov 27 2014
07:53:01 AM
So my male unneutered suggie, Abu, and my female, SuzieQ, have been with me for about 5 weeks. I work from 9-5 so when I get home I grab the bonding pouch and have both of them with me for most of the afternoon. Weekends they're almost always with me and they have play time in the bathroom for about an hour or so daily. SuzieQ bonded quickly, but Abu won't seem to although he stopped biting until tonight.

Today during play time, I noticed he was extremely jumpy and was biting at me every time he was on my legs or my feet. I usually make a tsss noise and try to gently move his face away to get him to stop. SuzieQ has also been crabbing at him a little bit every now and again when they cross paths. Anyone know what's going on?
Default, miscellaneous
Nov 27 2014
09:45:11 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
How old are your gliders? Do you have lineage to verify that they are they unrelated?

They may be maturing and if SuzieQ is in heat it will definitely affect Abu's behavior.
You will notice these 'misbehaviors' every month when she is in heat.

Unless you are fully prepared to deal with joeys, you may want to consider having Abu neutered very soon. There is a lot of things to consider before breeding your gliders. If you cannot verify that they are unrelated they should not be allowed to breed. If SuzieQ is under a year old she is not physically mature enough to carry joeys without some sacrifice of her own strong bone growth and it could affect her health down the road.

If you do allow them to breed, you need to inform your self on care of rejected joeys, especially if SuzieQ is very young. This web page will help.

http://www.suzsugargliders.com/educationalarticles.htm

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Glider Stories