Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
bonding question and odd behavior
Question
Dec 08 2014
10:56:05 AM
Hello! My boyfriend and I have been bonding with our 2 babies for about a month now, and one is really bonding with us (he will groom us and won't bite, comes to us, etc.) But the other one is really sketchy. He can be calm and sweet and let me pet him when he's in his pouch, but he is more distant and reluctant. And today he lunged and bit me. Is there anything we can do? It seems like he just doesn't want to bond with us and its making me sad. :(
Question
Dec 08 2014
12:52:38 PM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
Gliders are all different and they each have their own pace. Usually the more timid one would follow the lead of the more outgoing one, but it takes time.

Let me ask, what have you tried as for bonding so far. Have you tried putting fleece in their sleeping pouches that have you scent? Wear them in a bonding pouch on you during the day? If you tell us what you've tried, we can better advice you.

The key to bonding is patience. Also, try to remain calm, if you are stressed or scare of them they will feel this and react in accordance. Don't try to push them to your pace, let them set their own. If you come at him to abruptly that could scare him, and cause him to lunge and even bite you.

Some gliders are pouch protective, and really dislike anything that comes into their pouch (i.e. your hands), for this reason some people make the so called open environment pouches that allows them to see what is coming at them, and so prevent them from freaking out; you may want to try that if you think this may be related.

Hope this is of any help.
Question
Dec 08 2014
11:34:12 PM
Jezerfezer Starting Member Jezerfezer's Journal 3 Posts
Makes me sad too when my baby bites me, like I really get sad lol, li got a 5 month baby, when I let him crawl on my I try to feed him but he just doesn't want to eat but when I put him in his cage he goes to town on his food #128530;
Question
Dec 09 2014
04:00:23 AM
pebblesandsmokey Joey 20 Posts
Yes it makes me very sad. lol. I love him so much and he doesn't love me.
As for bonding we wear them in bonding pouches, we have done the fleece in the sleeping pouch, and we take them into the bathroom for playtime. It'll just take some patience i guess.
Question
Dec 09 2014
07:58:49 AM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
Do not feel sad. It is not that they don't love you, you have to think from their perspective:

There is a being 700+ times bigger than you, who you don't understand and don't know their intentions. You've been taken away from your home, parents, and any one else you knew, and placed into this new and completely different environment. And this giant keeps trying to grab you and making weird noises at you. All around a very stressful situation.

That's how your babies feel. So you have to build their trust: let them come to you when they want, place treats in your hands, but don't force them to take them. It will take time, but soon they learn that you won't harm them; and will even accept as part of their colony.

But I repeat, try to be calm and composed when you are interacting with them. Feeling sad and thinking they don't love you is not a good approach. We tend to give human characteristics to our babies, but that just doesn't apply; our babies don't hate or are mean and dislike us. They just are afraid at first, in the wild they are prey animals, and anything bigger than them is dangerous. But with effort and patience, they learn to trust us and the bond you form with them is amazing.
Question
Dec 12 2014
02:00:52 AM
FigMynt Starting Member Visit FigMynt's Photo Album SC, USA 9 Posts
My biggest problem was leaving my baby alone to adapt to his new environment. I know it's difficult because of course you want to play with them at first but patience is key. Try a dirty shirt also. He should get used to your scent and won't be so scared around you. Good luck!!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders