Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
nueter prices???
nueter prices???
Health related
Dec 09 2014
03:07:15 AM
Hi I was reading the post about where to sell babies. The thread got on the topic of nueter prices. I live in western NY near buffalo. We had almost considered getting a male but could not find a vet anywhere in NY that wasless than $300. This included Albany area which is a 5 hour drive. I also asked and most of the vets did not offer the laser surgery which I've read is easier on the glider. Just for reference does anyone happen to know of any vets in the north east that offer reasonable rates?
Health related
Dec 09 2014
05:17:28 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Hey there!
I go to the Village Animal Clinic in Voorheesville which is a 25 minute ride from where I live near Albany. They charged $250 for a neuter and are truly wonderful with gliders! They are really great there. I'm so lucky they are nearby!
Health related
Dec 09 2014
05:43:51 AM
squirt1226 Glider Visit squirt1226's Photo Album 90 Posts
That's good to know. Dr. Laura wade in our area is also a very good vet with gliders. We have have good luck with her so far. It just seems she is an bit pricey. We haven't had a real need for a vet other than the initial wellness exams and fecals. She also gave us a hands on lesson in nail trimming.
It just seems in other areas nuetering can be done for far less. She also charges just under $300 for the procedure. That is the pachage price which includes every thing and pain meds as well.
We did opt not to get the little male and found young females instead. However it was partly the high cost of the neuter in addition the the gliders price that swayed us from getting a male.
It is just disappointing to me that vets are not more reasonable here as in other areas on a routine nueter. I'm sure others either opt not to nueter or even not to get gliders due to that fact. It benefits the gliders and prevents unwanted babies... its just disappointing other vets can do it for $50-150 while in NY our vets charge $250 and up!
Health related
Dec 09 2014
09:28:00 AM
TigerLilly5555 Super Glider Visit TigerLilly5555's Photo Album KS, USA 299 Posts
Average price is $250-300 in the US
There is a vet in Kansas city that does them for $75 but that's a bit of a drive from NY.
Health related
Dec 09 2014
09:53:36 AM
denparkin Glider Visit denparkin's Photo Album ON, CA 154 Posts
I just got my two 3 month OOP twin boys neutered yesterday at University of Guelph small animal clinic in Ontario (they are a veterinary school). They charge $150 plus meds (which are really cheap). They have a good record so far with no self mutilations after surgery.
Health related
Dec 09 2014
10:49:03 AM
glidergranny Joey 22 Posts
I am in texas and i just got our little squirt nuetered it only cost me 140 including meds. I thought that sounded high but the vet is well worth it.
Health related
Dec 09 2014
12:10:41 PM
squirt1226 Glider Visit squirt1226's Photo Album 90 Posts
To me $150 sounds reasonable...$300 just seems a bit high. It makes me wonder how some of these breeders offer pet pricing with their males at a discounted price to start nueter included. Do breeders maybe get better rates than the average pet owner? Just curious...its kind of a mute point now that we decided just to stick to girls, but can't help but wonder. it would just seem if that's the going rate many of these breeders really do take a big hit on the price of their male babies being sold as pet only with the nueter included! Kudos to those that still do offer it and care more about the babies than the money they make from them!!!
Health related
Dec 09 2014
12:21:44 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
quote:
It makes me wonder how some of these breeders offer pet pricing with their males at a discounted price to start nueter included.

I would think some breeders do have their own resident vet in their payroll, which would explain how they can include it in their prices.
Health related
Dec 09 2014
02:54:23 PM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
Unfortunately I don't know of any vet in NY, but the vet I go to charges $150 for the neuter plus meds.

Breeder that offer their males neutered tend to have a deal with their vets to do it for less, specially if they need a lot of neuters. For example, the breeder I got my pair from, has this kind of deal with the same vet I go to, except that they only pay $75 the neuter. But then again, they neuter all their male joeys that are sold as pets, plus all the males they get from the rescue they run. Not too long ago they took 9 of their joeys to be neutered all at the same time, so even with the discount they spend a pretty penny doing this.

The reason breeders offer a discount price on neutered males when selling them as pet only, at least in the case of my breeders, is to improve the breeding lines, by preventing people from breeding gliders that don't have a lineage. The lower price serves as an incentive for people to buy the neutered gliders instead of the intact males, and not having the funds or interest in neutering them late on, and consequently breeding them; putting gliders that could have some sort of underlying genetic defect back in the market that could later on breed, transmitting their defect in turn.
Health related
Dec 09 2014
05:45:48 PM
TnDairyGirl Joey Visit TnDairyGirl's Photo Album 29 Posts
I'm from Tennessee and it was hard finding a vet for my suggie. Thankfully I found an awesome vet in Lebanon who charged $99 for Gizmo's neutering. Regular exotic checkups are $50. I was disappointed when I asked if they could clip his nails while he was asleep and they charged $13. If I knew they charged I would have done it myself. As for medicines, my vet said he didn't want to give any because they cause atomach problems and sometimes scare suggies away from their owners.
nueter prices???

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
nueter prices???