Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
When going on holiday- vet? House sitter?
Question
Dec 20 2014
09:07:55 PM
Hi there everyone,

I was wondering - when you all go on holiday what do you think is the less traumatic path to follow when leaving your gliders behind? Is it better to leave your gliders at the vet, breeder or get someone to come in and feed them?

Using common sense, there are pros and cons for every option but would like to hear what works for you. Thanks!
Information
Dec 20 2014
10:17:16 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Of those 3 options, I would not choose to leave my glider's at the vet. I think the sounds of multiple other animals around the gliders would be very stressful for them and they would also probably be housed in a much smaller cage than they are used to.

If your breeder is willing to care for them while you are away that would be great.

Having someone come in to feed them and check on them daily is also a good option.

When I travel my son feeds the gliders and takes the plates out in the morning. I prepare the dinner plates for each of my 3 colonies for the number of nights I will be away. He just needs to take the nights dinners out of the freezer and put it in each cage. He feeds them earlier than I usually do so he does not have to worry about them trying to jump out of the cage when the door is opened for play time.
Question
Dec 22 2014
12:15:07 AM
eclipseSA Joey 22 Posts
Hi Candy,

Thank you for your advice - I met and spoke to the breeder yesterday and he is happy to care for my gliders while I am away. I travel a couple of times a year for periods of 5 days to 2 weeks with the occasional 3 weeks in the middle of the year so having them cared for by the breeder is a relief! I am also happy to hear that having someone come in is also ok - common sense is telling me that longer than a couple of days isn't a good option but I have those 2 options - thanks again!
Question
Dec 22 2014
08:29:17 AM
BandP Super Glider Visit BandP's Photo Album 389 Posts
We take ours with us, but that isn't an option for everyone.

Not everyone can leave their gliders with their breeder because they may be a long distance away. In my opinion, having someone come over and care for them would be the least stressful for them. That way the smells and sounds are the same except for the person coming over to feed them, and it may very well be someone they know already.
Question
Dec 22 2014
08:56:32 AM
eclipseSA Joey 22 Posts
Hi Bandpi,

I was thinking of taking them with me when I go short distances but was worried as during those times I am never really in the hotel room - it is another option

Will keep looking into options and maybe I can get someone who cares for pets as a part time job to come in. This is all so new to me and so grateful for all the advice.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders