GliderGossip GliderGossip
Glider Stories
New glider mom
New glider mom
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2015
12:34:09 PM
Hi,
On Christmas Eve I became a new mom to two beautiful girl gliders, Anna and Elsa. On 30th December, less than a week of having them home I found myself at the vets with Anna, she had a swollen eye and a respiratory infection which we were given meds for. she weighed in at. 25g. Both me and the vet agreed she was younger than I was told. The breeder denies this.

Today Anna died in my hands. When we got her I was told she had a bit of diaherra, but it was ok only stress from leaving mom and dad. Obviously now I am questioning that and feel stupid I did not question it in the first place.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2015
01:27:34 PM
denparkin Glider Visit denparkin's Photo Album ON, CA 154 Posts
First off I want to tell you that I'm so sorry this happened to you. I know you were probably already attached to her.

One thing to note is that people calculate the oop date differently, so I always ask breeders how they determine the oop date. Some breeders mark the oop date as when they see the joeys out of their mother’s pouch for the first time. Other breeders will wait until the joey is detached from its mother’s nipple to mark the oop date. 

When I was looking for my first gliders, I was luckily able to tell they were too young because of their tails. At approximately six weeks oop, the joey’s tail will “fluff out”. Their tales weren't fluffed yet, and I was told they were 8 weeks oop. Needless to say I didn't purchase them.

Did your gliders come with a health guarantee? I know it won't bring your sweet angel back, but the fact that she had diarrhea when you got her, I like to know what the breeder is going to do.

PS - Love the names (Frozen).

Edited by - denparkin on Jan 01 2015 01:29:51 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2015
01:49:09 PM
Amyjoannwhite Starting Member Visit Amyjoannwhite's Photo Album 3 Posts
Thanks for your reply. As these are my first gliders I did not realise about the tail until I got home and realised how much difference in size they were and saw that Anna had a very skinny tail (no fluff). I looked it up on Google and got straight back on to the breeder who was still insisting she was 9 weeks X
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 01 2015
01:51:21 PM
Amyjoannwhite Starting Member Visit Amyjoannwhite's Photo Album 3 Posts
Breeder is saying that she was fine when left her care so it is not her problem but will go out of her way to offer one from a breeding in 8 months time.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 11 2015
09:10:56 PM
mechnut450 Glider Visit mechnut450's Photo Album 121 Posts
Not trying to call your breeder a liar but I want that part in writing as in 8 months they may not remember saying that.
New glider mom

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Glider Stories
New glider mom