GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Breeding, having a bit of trouble figuring out platinum genetics
Information
Jan 16 2015
06:12:47 PM
So I have....

A male who is leucistic. His mother is a leu who is a proven mosiac and the father is a platinum.

A female who is mosaic with a platinum father and a mosaic mother 100%leu or platinum

What would be there offspring possibilities, they both have lineage and I have breeding rights.

I'm a bit confused on if plat or leu would show up
Information
Jan 16 2015
09:11:33 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
quote:
A male who is leucistic. His mother is a leu who is a proven mosiac and the father is a platinum.

If your male is leucistic - then he does not carry the mosaic gene which is dominant. If his mother is a leucistic glider - she is NOT a mosaic - again because the mosaic gene would have produced a mosaic glider not a Leu. For the glider to be mosaic the ONLY color genes he carries are two recessive genes for the Leucistic color.

quote:
A female who is mosaic with a platinum father and a mosaic mother 100% leu or platinum

The Leucistic glider can only contribute the recessive Leucistic gene - the color of any joeys produced would be determined by the gene contributed by the Mosaic Glider

Pairing a Leucistic Glider with a mosaic glider will produce mosaic or common grey gliders. IF the mosaic is also a platinum het - you would have mosaic or platinum or common grey gliders. If the mosaic is 100% leu het (one of its parents was Leucistic) then you will have either mosaic or leucistic joeys.

If the mosaic is less than 100% het for the leucistic or platinum traits your chances are less predictable since the glider MAY or MAY NOT carry either recessive trait - in that case you would get a leucistic joey ONLY if the mosaic actually carries the leu gene (then you would know that the mosaic is actually 100% het leucistic because the joey would be the proof) You could possibly get a platinum if the mosaic does carry the platinum gene - again you would only know if you actually produced a platinum joey proving 100% platinum het.

Information
Jan 17 2015
08:30:06 PM
glidernursery Glider GliderMap Visit glidernursery's Photo Album USA 94 Posts
To learn more about how the platinum and leucistic genes work, you may want to visit this site:

http://www.glidernursery.com/plat-and-leucistics.html

Remember that mosaic is a dominate gene. ANY color glider can also be a mosaic. Only one parent needs to be a mosaic which will result in 50% of their offspring being mosaic.
Information
Jan 17 2015
08:37:05 PM
quote:

A female who is mosaic with a platinum father and a mosaic mother 100% leu or platinum

So, your breeding pair is:
Male: Leucistic
Female: Mosaic, Plat or Leu Het

Your offspring will be:
Grey, 100% Leu Het
Mosaic, 100% Leu Het
Platinum, 100% Leu Het (if the plat het proves out)
True Platinum Mosaic (TPM), 100% Leu Het (if plat proves out)
Leucistic (if the leu proves out)

If the Leu proves out, then you'll know that the female is 100% Leu Het and not Plat Het.

Hope I didn't miss anything. ;)
Information
Jan 18 2015
12:48:45 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
a bit out of topic, but I've read glidernursery's page about plat and leu het, and regarding the "morph" observed in one line, I was wondering if we were sure that both those characters are mutations of the same gene, and further more if we are sure that some leus are really leus at the genetic level and not an alteration of the pigmentation fixing (like blood groups in humans for example, some Os are in fact not O regarding their genes but As in which the A antigene does not fix on the blood cells due to a mutation of another gene than the bloodtype coding ones)
Information
Jan 18 2015
12:07:12 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
We do not yet know enough about the gliders' full gene structure to answer those questions specifically. There is currently a study being done on glider genetics but it is far from being completed.
Information
Jan 18 2015
06:11:03 PM
Candy is correct. Dr. Clare Holleley, PhD is heading up the Sugar Glider Genetics Project that I promoted. She provided an update at the 2014 OSGA.

Unfortunately, the only thing we have to go on with genetics is what we have historically observed in our breeding programs and how those colors are in other species.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders