Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
questions about sleep.
questions about sleep.
Question
Feb 16 2015
11:57:12 PM
I have some questions about sleep. I post a lot of questions sorry for that but I appericate the help I get here! So anyways I have two sugar gliders got them saturday and I noticed my female sleeps all day and I mean sleeps she doesnt wake up she doesnt even move. I look in thier cage like every 20 minutes they're by my bed so I look over alot. But the male he wakes up a lot during the day he moves around grooms her and I hear him sneeze alot. So one of my questions is it normal for her to sleep like that all day without really waking up? Also like now its 10 and hes awake but not coming out I have bearly any light besides my tv but I find he is a mom follower he wont really come out unless mommas awake and comes out which she is still asleep people say that theirs wake around 7 some say 9ish and I know every glider is different but its pretty dark and late why are they still asleep/ in thier pouch? I dont know what time they fall asleep in the mourning but the mom woke me at 6 barking it was to cute to get mad at. I love everything about gliders and I really just want to get to know them better and love them. So what time does yours wake up? And what time do they go to bed if you know? Also one last thing kinda off topic how do I give my male protien I know how but when I put a mealworm in there dish mom eats it and I try to feed it to him with my fingers but hes skiddish of course momma comes over and will snatch it out of my hand I tired giving him egg he wont take it. What else can they eat protien wise? And they just came out so im end this here. Thanks :)
Question
Feb 17 2015
05:41:54 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Hello!
My quad can wake up anytime between 9 and 11 at night, and I find as the seasons change so do their sleeping and waking patterns (by just a little). Sometimes they wake up early, but that is still only around 8:30. As I understand it, gliders will wake up for the evening, eat, play, and then also take naps throughout the night. I know sometimes mine will be wake up around 9:30 and then be back in the pouch by 11 at night. They're awake when I get up in the morning between 5 and 6 but go to bed for the day usually by 6:30. For the most part while they sleep during the day they barely move or make a sound, although since there's four of them inevitably you'll hear some noises every so often indicating irritation (hey your foot's in my eye!) which my husband and I describe as "chooching " but I think most people describe it as a quick pssst sound.
The sneezing sound you're hearing I believe is actually a grooming sound. I do think it's completely normal for her to sleep all day (they are nocturnal after all!) like that and maybe he's just a restless sleeper. They may also wake at different times. My Gimli is always first awake by a long shot! (Which is also probably why he is the fattest since he quick eats all the treats I've hidden in the cage before anyone else wakes up!)
As for the protein, I'm not sure if you've mentioned what diet you have them on but maybe you could post that again. Most diets when followed have enough protein in them, but I hear your concern. It's probably ok for now, and the little guy will warm up to you and then you can give him worms as treats. Give him some time to get used to you! My newest addition took a couple of weeks to warm up enough to take treats from my hand.
Question
Feb 17 2015
07:00:43 AM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
My babies wake up around 9:30pm, eat all the treats, and then go back in the pouch. Sometimes I only get to see Jelly, because she doesn't wait for complete darkness to start running in the wheel. I need to get a small lamp for my red light bulb, then maybe the other 3 babies will come out before I go to bed!
Question
Feb 17 2015
08:39:11 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Hello again,

Firstly, you'll have to keep in mind that your gliders are still VERY new to their new home. They are under some amount of stress (some stress more than others), new smells (they're extremely scent oriented) as well as sounds. They don't know you yet, and you're rather a big scary creature in their eyes. It's too soon for them to have established a pattern that you will recognize as normal as they haven't settled in yet.

It is completely normal for a glider to sleep all day without waking. Some do venture out for a treat (midnight snack) and then go back into their pouch, but none of mine ever have made a habit of this. Your male may be up checking out his new surrounding during the day out of curiosity. Ensure that your room has very good light during the day.

You know already about their darkness needs at night and have already asked about your television. They may get used to this over time, but are not yet. From what I've noticed it is the flashing of the light from the television more than the sound (although I would still keep the sound to a minimum). If you look at your room while your tv is on without looking at the tv, you'll noticed how much the light really flashes, especially during commercials. I've found that if I put on a movie, (no action adventure types ) that they are tolerant of the tv being on during their out of cage time in my room.

During this time of year I keep a light on in their part of the house until about 8pm. I put their food in and hide their treats at about 8:30. They're usually beginning to rustle around in their pouch at that time. I have one lazy head, but they are awake and ready to play at 9pm. Other things may factor in including the weather, barometer, etc. and they may sleep much later, but you'll begin to notice their patterns as they realize this is their forever home.

Now that you've touched on the subject of being concerned about your male's protein needs, consider starting a thread topic with your questions regarding diet. It is one thing I don't think you've mentioned in your previous posts. If they are eating a recognized staple diet you shouldn't have any reason for concern. In fact, male's don't need an over abundance of protein and it can cause disease. Breeding females need more protein, but that is a separate issue. Mealworms are very fatty and should not be considered a source of protein, but rather a treat.

Sorry for the 'book' I've written. Just rambling on, but hopefully stayed close to answering some of your questions!
questions about sleep.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
questions about sleep.