GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
How many medium meal worms? Glider can't get enough of them
Food, Diet
Mar 17 2015
11:31:46 AM
Hi all:

My glider is a rescue that was abandoned to a vet. Working on getting a companion right now.

In the meantime, I had a question about meal worms. My glider currently eats HPW plus veggies and some fruit, varieties changing. Of all things, he goes nuts for the mealworms. I know those are an important part of the protein. He will always go for the bit of fruit as well, and often pass on the veggies, and sometimes almost ignores the HPW or eats just a bit.

How many medium mealworms per night are ok? Those are always gone.

Thank you.
Food, Diet
Mar 17 2015
03:53:15 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Hi,

For a rescue that isn't yet eating his staple well...I would limit the meal worms. They aren't an important part of the diet, although yes they do contain some protein, they are mostly fat. You didn't mention how many you're giving but depending on his size...maybe give him a few in the morning 3-5 count, so that he has had the opportunity to eat what he really needs of his staple and fruits and veg at night. Or, you could alternate nights and not offer as many and don't offer them every single night. Pretty much ALL suggies (there are exceptions) would prefer to eat a diet of ALL mealies. Like a kid in the candy store.
Food, Diet
Mar 18 2015
10:04:43 AM
sharno Starting Member 6 Posts
Thank you so much!!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders