Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
I already really love my gliders.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 07 2015
12:19:13 PM
Just an update since I got my 2 girls on Saturday morning.

I've been able to handle them. No biting, but I do notice they love to sniff my hands, then lick, and sometimes gently test to see if im edible - normal? It's not a full on bite at all, just a nibble. lol.

I switched their food from the food the breeder had them on. From what I read on here, I was expecting this to be a bit of a transition. Nope. The first night i gave them HPW Complete they ate the entire bowl of it.

So far they have been extremely easy pets. I'm wondering when it will become high maintenance like everyone warned me about on other boards. I understand they need a lot of toys, a huge cage (cleaned often), the proper diet, and a lot of bonding time. But none of this has been more difficult than the other non-domestics ive owned. If this what owning a sugar glider is really like...I think im hooked for life. They are great!

Default, miscellaneous
Apr 07 2015
02:08:54 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
I'm so happy to see that you and your gliders are happy!

The nibbling is normal. Just testing. Depending on their age, personality etc. they may decide to try a little harder to see what happens. Sometimes referred to as the bratty terrible two's.

I think the high maintenance warning agenda is to discourage impulse buyers and folks who need to understand the long term commitment. When the 'honeymoon' is over sort of thing. And, life throws big changes. Some can be expected especially with younger people with schooling and homing changes as transitioning through the early adulthood years. Typically that is when the difficulties begin.

Also, by buying from a reputable breeder, having them on a good diet, having done your research, already having your cage and supplies in place you've saved yourself all of the head aches and heart aches that doing that in reverse can bring. Bringing home gliders with hidden health issues, having them on poor diets and in poor living conditions leading to illness, costly veterinary bills, etc. THAT is where the real trouble starts.

Not that there aren't bumps along the way for any glider owner! But....keep on enjoying your glide~~~
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 08 2015
07:06:01 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I'm glad it's going so well. You never know what your glider's personalities will be for the most part until you have them. Sometimes you may be able to get some insight from the breeders though. It's more common that it doesn't go as smoothly in the beginning, but that has a lot to do with the personality they have and the environment they've had.

If you are experienced in exotics or non-domesticated pets, then the maintenance is relatively familiar to you. However, many do purchase on impulse as mentioned and well, let's face it, they're adorably hard to resist for many. Not all understand the time commitment in caring for them properly in many aspects such as their life span, the cleaning, food prep, and laundry routine, not to mention the time actually spent to develop a rewarding relationship with them. It's a huge commitment of one's time, it's also financial, start up costs, regular vet check and sometimes the unexpected vet emergencies, as well as personal addiction to wanting to give them everything and anything you can find that is suitable for them, And after all of that, they pee and poop all over you Oh, some people understand about hat and don't mind, but it's not for everyone. Most the time, people here in forums like this just want to make sure one knows what they can be getting themselves into.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 09 2015
07:59:58 PM
BandP Super Glider Visit BandP's Photo Album 389 Posts
The high maintenance part comes in with all the fresh food they need prepared. Although it should help owners eat better also. I know it helps us to have a bigger variety of fresh food. It's just kind of a pain sometimes to be constantly running to the store for them. But they're worth it
they are such awesome pets

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders