Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
First Night as a new glider parent
Question
Apr 08 2015
11:24:37 AM
So my new little boy arrived yesterday, Icarus. His sister Luna is to follow tomorrow. They were supposed to arrive together but there was a bit of miscommunication with the breeder. He should be okay for two days, right? And I get a little on-on-one bonding time!

The first night has been really smooth! He is very calm and friendly. The crabbing has been very minimal, and he seems comfortable with me very quickly. He allows me to pet him and takes fruit slices right from my hand already!

My only concern right now is his sleeping, eating, and hydration. He hasn't really eaten or drank a lot since he's been in his cage, and I want to give him some time. He has taken fruit slices from me, but he hasn't touched the HPW or fruits/veggies but barely. Also, he's totally awake right now in the middle of the day! He pouched pretty early last night (around midnight or so) and went to sleep. Will his sleep schedule balance out? Is the eating/sleeping thing just him settling in?

Question
Apr 08 2015
11:49:33 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
I don't see any worrying matter there. Try to see with his own eyes, it's his 1st time alone, in a new place filled with new smells, with a strange giant that he doesn't know... pretty scary heh. What is surprising is that he is not crabbing more and that he lets you pet him

He will take a few days to settle in, get familiar with his new surrounding and such, and it will get easier once Luna arrives. In the meantime, just make sure he has food and water available at all time, talk to him, observe him but do not try to get him out or overstimulate him for a few days.
Question
Apr 08 2015
11:53:39 AM
Nierre Joey Visit Nierre's Photo Album 10 Posts
That sounds great :) He definitely seems happy - I just want him to also be healthy! Thank you for the advice!
Question
Apr 08 2015
12:37:18 PM
He's already approaching my hand when I put it in the cage and will even stand on it partially! I'm a bit excited.
Question
Apr 08 2015
06:41:40 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Icarus is a cutie pie, I hope you get Luna quickly and all will be well.

His not eating so well seems perfectly normal for the first night or two, especially since he doesn't have his sister with him. Everything is new and strange to him.
Question
Apr 09 2015
09:57:14 AM
TJones09, thank you as always for your response! He is indeed adorable. I pick up Luna today, so they will be reunited!

He has started eating, though not nearly as much of the fruits/veggies as I'd like, and his sleeping hours are totally wonky! What a crazy thing.

I've dubbed him a "pouch grouch" since the only time he crabs is when he's in a pouch of any kind, haha. I'm taking steps to talk to him softly and pet the outside of the pouch. I also can cup him in my hand inside of the pouch, but he will crab even when he's just alone in his cage inside of the pouch! Little pouch grouch

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders