Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Is vinyl coated wire safe for gliders?
Default, miscellaneous
May 02 2015
10:00:09 AM
Im trying to make a DIY second cage for my babies but im having trouble finding wire mesh with spaces small enough. Ive had no luck finding PVC, but there were plenty of vinyl coated wire mesh with small enough spacing.

If anyone has words of wisdom, im all ears.
Default, miscellaneous
May 02 2015
10:41:54 AM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I've not made one before, but where have you been looking for PVC? Hardware stores should carry that, I think most get it from ones like Home Depot or Lowes. They also sell the plastic hardware cloth, maybe you should ask someone in customer service what department you can find that in. Most of the people I hear mention in the fencing department for the size used in cage building.

Hopefully someone who has built one will be able to direct you if the store personnel cannot. I always get the name of what that mesh is called mixed up anyway.

As for vinyl, I don't know enough about that to say how long it would last. It would be initially safe I would think, but if it's chewed up and the wire under is exposed that would be a serious issue to deal with.

Edited by - TJones09 on May 02 2015 10:43:25 AM
Default, miscellaneous
May 02 2015
11:08:59 AM
Ange1seyes Glider Visit Ange1seyes's Photo Album 113 Posts
I'm making a pvc cage and I bought the Hardware Netting at Menards. It is black and is all plastic.
Default, miscellaneous
May 02 2015
06:53:58 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Some of the Coated wire products have been shown to be toxic to gliders. Most of us will not use the coated wire for our gliders because it is difficult to know if the one we choose is safe.

The black plastic hardware cloth (sometimes called Landware) is glider safe. It can be found in the garden fencing area at Lowes or Home Depot. It has 1/2 inch square openings.
Default, miscellaneous
May 03 2015
09:06:24 PM
trainedmermaid Glider Visit trainedmermaid's Photo Album 69 Posts
Thank you so much everyone.

I was looking at wire because I assumed they would chew their way out of plastic.
Default, miscellaneous
May 12 2015
09:52:51 PM
trainedmermaid Glider Visit trainedmermaid's Photo Album 69 Posts
Hey friends, I hate to be *that* annoying poster, but I wanted to double check again.

Is this okay to use for the screen part of my gliders cage?

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HMA6W8/ref=s9_wish_co_d8_g86_i5?ie=UTF8&colid=1U2E0NYR50QRR&coliid=I3DWA5PNVW34YA&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=typ-top-left-1&pf_rd_r=1KF3888CM0EM0HM4ADFN&pf_rd_t=3201&pf_rd_p=1827489602&pf_rd_i=typ01

Tenax Hardware Net.

I'm assuming it is. But....I can never be too paranoid.
Default, miscellaneous
May 12 2015
10:16:15 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Yes that is the plastic hardware cloth most people use to make home made cages.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders