Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
gliders acting weird..
gliders acting weird..
Default, miscellaneous
May 12 2015
03:31:06 PM
Hey guys so as you know I have my 2 original gliders and I just got 2 new ones a week and a half ago.

I have noticed my girls acting really odd around us. It's almost like their bond to us is getting weak.

Since noticing this I have been "rebounding" with them, adding fleece scent blankies into their sleeping pouches, holding them for longer periods, trying to spend as much time as I can with them and they just seem to be getting really crabby with us.

Has anyone had this happen after adding 2 even just in the same house??? Also any suggestions on bonding with them? We are bonding with our new ones too and I feel a little rusty with it or maybe I'm just impatient since I'm used to the bond that I've had with my original two.. its starting over fresh with these new girlies and it feels like a long ways away from the full bond.
Default, miscellaneous
May 12 2015
07:28:45 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I haven't had that experience before. I've had setbacks in the relationship/bonds I've had with my gliders due to extreme changes over periods of time when I moved across country. We are building that back and almost like it was before I moved, so I'm hoping to strengthen even more.

It may be though that they sense you sharing your time with the others, not sure what feelings they'd have about it, but could be unsure of you and what's going on.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge on this will come forward with some insight for you. In the meantime, just do what you did with building the trust with both sets the best you can.
Default, miscellaneous
May 12 2015
10:23:03 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
While your new gliders are in quarantine - you should be washing your hands after handling them before handling your original gliders - and also between your original gliders and handling the new gliders. If one pair has been climbing on you and your clothes - you probably should also change clothes before handling the other pair of gliders.

They may be skittish with you if they smell the other gliders on you.
Default, miscellaneous
May 12 2015
10:52:20 PM
mallory_em4 Glider Visit mallory_em4's Photo Album 88 Posts
Candy- I have been doing that. Nothing comes into contact with each others. They live in separate rooms, playtimes are in different places and I even have hand sanitizer that I use as an extra disinfectant as I'm walking to the sink to wash my hands (they are use to both of these smells). The only way that they know of eachother is through the barking. And as far as smell if they are smelling anything it would just be from them being in the same house. I dont even go into the others room with the ones that don't live in there.
Default, miscellaneous
May 12 2015
11:49:31 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
is the hand sanitizer you use a new thing, and does it have a smell? It might be that they don't find your smell "normal" if it is a new thing-
Default, miscellaneous
May 13 2015
02:23:39 AM
GLIDEIT Super Glider Visit GLIDEIT's Photo Album Canada 330 Posts
I agree , it could be the new scent of the hand sanitizer that is throwing them off? If you're smelling different to them, they might not "recognize" you right away.

They also might know there are new gliders in the house, maybe not by scent but by hearing the barking, etc.

How long has this been going on? The full week and a half or just a couple days? Is it possible one or both of your girls are in heat? I know one of my girls gets a lot crabbier and grumpy when she is in heat.
Default, miscellaneous
May 13 2015
04:51:18 PM
mallory_em4 Glider Visit mallory_em4's Photo Album 88 Posts
As I had said the hand sanitizer isn't new to them.

They have been doing it the full 2wks since we fot the new ones.

I know they are not in heat cause my girls show soo many signs that I knew exactly when it is due to happens (3days every other month) and they just had it last month. And when they are in heat they actually like being around us even more...
gliders acting weird..

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
gliders acting weird..