Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Glider room!
Glider room!
Default, miscellaneous
May 15 2015
08:04:26 PM
At the end of the month, I will be moving into a bigger place and will be able to have a room dedicated to my gliders. To make it safe and fun for them, I was wondering what some of you did to your glider rooms. I'm thinking about putting in some shelves that they can jump to and from, and hanging fleece pouches/toys from the walls so they have things to do. Any other ideas?
:)
Default, miscellaneous
May 15 2015
09:50:55 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
That's super awesome, I haven't been able to have a glider room yet.

The shelves sounds like good ideas, that's something I would do and maybe link thick plastic chains and/or braided fleece vines around between some of them. I've seen some photos of glider room setups, a search on them will help give you more ideas. I've seen some where fleece fabric was hung onto the wall so the gliders could climb.
Default, miscellaneous
May 16 2015
06:20:04 AM
Selkie Joey 39 Posts
I have shelves in my glider room and they love them. It's a great place to put toys for them to play on as well. I lined the walls of my glider room with window screen (which is easy to wipe down to clean). We built a frame from PVC pipe and then I sewed velcro to the edge of the screen and used sticky velcro on the pvc. That way, we can even take the screen down and toss it into the washing machine if wiping it down isn't enough. My guys love to climb on the window screen and the holes in the screen are big enough that their nails don't get caught. I used fleece at first, put I was doing huge loads of laundry all the time because I wanted to make sure that the fleece stayed clean. The screen is much easier to take care of. The PVP pipe is fastened to the wall with hooks and small bungie cords. This leaves only small holes in the walls so they will be easy to fix if I ever need to.

The PVC pipe is also a great place to fasten fleece vines to for them to climb back and forth close to the ceiling and to hang down do they can get up and down that way.

I bought two mesh toy towers that hang from the ceiling (from Ikea). I hung one straight down from the ceiling and the other I hung on it's side up high across one end of the room. I cut holes between the chambers in the tower do they could crawl between the chambers. In each chamber I put different things. I have feathers, balls, little pieces of fleece, army men and other small plastic toys, toilet paper tubes, straws, anything that they like to play with that's small. I hang various toys inside the chambers as well (like the monkeys from the barrel of monkeys). I think my guys almost like those toy towers more than anything else because they can climb on them and in them and they keep finding new things all the time. Sometimes I even hide treats in some of the chambers.

On one of my shelves I have a free standing Fast Track wheel, so they can go on the wheel outside the cage if they want to. I also have pieces of PVC pipe that are big enough for them to get inside of. I fastened several pieces of this PVC pipe together (on it's side so it looks kind of like a honeycomb) and they love to climb on that and sit in the pipes looking out.

I have several different children's toys - a shape house, a Winnie the Pooh tree house, a dragon looking thing that has lots of holes in it for them to climb through, etc. I put these on the shelves and swap them out regularly.

I also have a couple of ferret tunnels that I hang on and between the walls for them to crawl through. This gets kind of yucky after a few days, so I only put one up at a time and swap them out so I can have one up when I'm cleaning and drying the other one (it always takes a couple of days for it to dry completely). The worst part of the tunnels is that sometimes they go inside them and go to sleep and it can be hard to get them out to get them back in the cage when I'm ready to leave the room. I don't leave them loose in the room when I can't be in there.

I'm sure other people can give you even more ideas for what to do with your glider room. The main thing I have learned is that I need to change things out really often so they don't get bored.

Plus I also still use the tent regularly so they have a change of scenery. I sometimes use the tent to let them have a cricket hunt. I just turn the crickets loose in the tent with the gliders and watch the fun.
Default, miscellaneous
May 16 2015
11:21:24 AM
Onelove420 Glider Visit Onelove420's Photo Album USA 89 Posts
Your room sounds amazing! Thanks for all the ideas, and the screens on the wall sound like something I could whip up:) do you have a picture of your room by chance?:)
Default, miscellaneous
May 17 2015
09:45:12 AM
Selkie Joey 39 Posts
Not really. The room is very small and every time I try to take pictures, it doesn't really show things off, so I never keep them.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 20 2015
12:53:56 PM
Jodykersten Joey 45 Posts
1 more question, how you keep the floor of the glider room clean?
Just by cleaning it every other day, or do you have something washable on the floor?
I have a glider room and i just clean it every other day, but was wondering if there was a more easy way to do this?
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 20 2015
09:16:49 PM
Bishiglomper Joey 19 Posts
Sorry to highjack your thread, but I has a couple questions on this. XD

Can gliders climb walls? I thought I saw they could, but d'ya think they could they climb wood panel ones?

Oh.. and we experimented a few years ago decorating our walls, we pasted fabric to the walls using cornstarch paste, like wallpaper, only temporary. That would give them some grip? And it's pasted down, so no threads would get 'em. D'ya think they'd mess it up? It'd be annoying to have to wash them and paste them back up. XD
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 20 2015
11:11:25 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
I would not use cornstarch paste to hang fabric on the walls - I expect the gliders might find it a tempting treat and would spend much of their time peeling the fabric from the walls to get at the corn starch

They WILL also pee on the fabric as they climb around on it.

You might just try putting some plastic hooks on the wall (no sharp edges) and use those to drape braided fleece ropes around the room for the gliders to climb on.

Gliders will also climb the door frames and if there are any drapes or blinds on the windows they will climb those also.

I used a piece of the plastic mesh hung on the side of a glass shower wall for my gliders to climb - their favorite place was to go under the mesh and climb around between the mesh and the glass.

Plastic chain can also be used for the gliders to climb on. I used the small chain with 3/4 inch links (sold for bird toys) and draped it across the walls for them to run along in the bathroom.
Glider room!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Glider room!