Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bonded pair fighting
Bonded pair fighting
Behavior
Jul 15 2015
01:19:13 AM
My bonded pair have been fighting every night with each other. My female is not in heat, and my male is neutered. Selling one is not an option. My rescue finally bonded to me and my female was my first glider. I really don't want to buy another cage and new cage mates for them. What do I do?
Behavior
Jul 15 2015
03:22:25 AM
GLIDEIT Super Glider Visit GLIDEIT's Photo Album Canada 330 Posts
Can you describe their fighting? Who starts it and what does it look like? When did they start fighting?

Also, what is the background on your rescue glider?

I have a couple ideas but need more info before I go off on a tangent.
Behavior
Jul 15 2015
09:04:04 AM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Is there any indication of food aggression? Also, how long have they been together?

When my first gliders (paired females for almost a year before I homed them) were introduced to and excepted my lone male they got along great until I moved across country and got them a brand new and larger cage. Soon after my boy began to crab and hiss at the girls, usually over food, but sometimes toys as well. This was less than a year of being together. So far none are being hurt, just chased. Sometimes it seems less and other times more frequently.

Gliders will have arguments, without actually fighting, I believe mine are arguing and have not actually fought, I check them frequently.
Behavior
Jul 15 2015
09:38:02 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
I expect that gliders will sometimes just wrestle for fun like my dogs do -

Have you ever watched two dogs 'play fight'? They can sound pretty vicious but no one is getting hurt. Mine even choose a soft spot to hold there 'fights' either on the couch, the middle of my bed or on the throw rug in my family room rather than on the hard tile.

Your gliders may need some additional toys or distractions to focus their attention on something other than their cagemate.

First - if you think food may be involved be sure to put their dinner in several locations in the cage - some high some low so they have to do a little foraging for dinner. Hanging bird cups work well and can be moved around to different places each night.

Add some toys to the cage. My gliders like to have small places to hide - where they can pop out to surprise other gliders or as a place to sit by them selves to munch on a piece of food. Toddler shape sorters are popular with my gliders. A particular favorite is an inexpensive castle from Big Lots that has a draw bridge for a large door but lots of shape 'windows' to peek out of. There are also some to be found in the small pets section of most pet stores - the Cake and Strawberry make great hide outs.

I also put small toys like plastic bracelets, monkeys (barrel of monkeys game or similar ones available at Dollar Stores) straws or even plastic army men on top of the cage for the gliders to grab and pull through over night. I get to have fun picking them up from the floor and bottom of the cage each morning - so I toss them back on top of the cage for another night's fun.
Bonded pair fighting

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bonded pair fighting