Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Nail file
Nail file
Health related
Jul 17 2015
12:19:20 PM
So August 19 is the big day for me cause that's when I get my sugar babies. One thing I wanted to ask that I haven't seen anyone else ask is, can you use a nail file on a glider instead of cutting them? Has anyone had success doing this? What kind of file would be best? Thanks for the help.
Health related
Jul 17 2015
12:47:39 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
I have used an emery board, and it is useful to get the sharp tip off of their nails. To be honest, I have yet to perfect a way to trim their nails.

A couple of days ago I took two of my babies to my ex for help with a trim, because I have a hard time doing it alone. One of my girls has hands that I swear are stronger than mine! We gave her a stick to hold while we trimmed the nails.

They sell mesh pouches to put them in for trimming, but the one I bought was too small to stuff her fluffy self into! I am going to try to make my own mesh pouch before too long. For now I just clip whatever claw sticks out through the bonding pouch window.
Health related
Jul 17 2015
12:53:33 PM
Bossihamham Glider Visit Bossihamham's Photo Album Bossihamham's Journal 195 Posts
I'll give the emery board a shot. Between me and my husband I think we'll be able to get it done. I used to groom dogs and clip their nail so I hope some of that experience will help me with gliders nails.
Health related
Jul 17 2015
01:37:45 PM
GLIDEIT Super Glider Visit GLIDEIT's Photo Album Canada 330 Posts
I only use a nail file now, no clippers. I used to use clippers then a quick file to dull any sharp edges left over but found the file was easier on my gliders. Plus I don't have to worry about cutting too far, the file lets me get the sharp point off while still keeping enough length that they don't do the post-nail trim-fumble. I round the tips, they grow out better that way. I only have to do them every 3 weeks or so now.

With clippers I had to bribe them with a lot of yogurt drops to get them to sit still but I can file them without that. They sit well, but they're all good with me handling their feet already.

It's been revolutionary for us! I no longer dread pedicure day.
Nail file

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Nail file