Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Gliderpedia Discussion
help!
help!
Question
Jan 03 2016
05:17:33 PM
I have done a ton of research before purchasing my sugar glider. I have had her for a month so she is 12 weeks old. I have done everything by the book. Put shirts in there, carry her around in a bonding pouch, try to pet her, try to give her treats. I am a vet Tech at an animal rescue so I even have her with me at work or 8 hours a day in the bonding pouch. Problem is she hates me lol! She will not take treats from my hands even outside the cage. Even trying to get her in the bonding pouch is a nightmare she flies all over her cage. She wants absolutely nothing to do with me. I mean at all. I fully understand this is a process and can awhile to achieve, and I'm in the for the long haul, but shouldn't she of made some progress in a month even a little? I just want her to love me already. I'm ready to crawl in her pouch and force her to love me lol!
Question
Jan 03 2016
05:41:32 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
She is young and if you have only one glider she may be missing her parents and the company of another glider. Gliders are colony animals and really do need the companionship of another glider. No matter how much time you spend with her you cannot meet the need for another glider to share grooming, share food, snuggle with while sleeping during the day or as a playmate when gliders are awake and active at night - while their human is sleeping.

Carrying her with you for 8 hours at work - while you are around other animals may not be the best way to win her trust.

First, gliders need several hours daily of uninterrupted sleep. If you are up moving around while she is trying to sleep she may not be getting any really sound sleep.

I would not be friendly if someone was shaking my bed around all night long while I tried to sleep.

The fact that you are around other animals during the day may also be making her freak out. Gliders are very scent oriented and the constant introduction of the scent of many other animals during the day may be keeping her constantly on guard because many of them would smell like potential predators to her.

Try leaving her home to sleep safely in her cage during the day time and showering and changing your clothes when you get home before interacting with her and see if her attitude changes.

If you can glider proof a small bathroom or get a screen tent you may find interacting with her in the evening when she is awake to be a better way to bond with her. The small safe place would allow her to come to you on her own terms while giving her some space to run around and get some exercise in a space where you an still safely reach her. Treats can be used to coax her to come to you but mostly let her climb on you and explore you herself.

One thing gliders teach us is patience. She will come around, but on her terms and her own schedule.

Edited by - Candy on Jan 03 2016 06:00:10 PM
Question
Jan 03 2016
05:59:20 PM
dawng97 Starting Member 2 Posts
Thank you for your response. I did think that it might be to much scent for her so I didn't take her with me for a week and there was no difference in her attitude. I did intend on getting her a friend but figured I would try to get her to bond with me first. How do you think an adult already socialized glider will do? And do those even exist. I live in new jersey so I don't know if any places that even have adult tame gliders if they even exist lol!
Question
Jan 03 2016
06:09:11 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Bonding often does go more smoothly with two gliders because the glider that is fearful will follow the more trusting glider's lead in coming to you for treats and attention.

She may not have been handled at all before coming to you so without her parents she would be fearful of everything.

An adult glider about the same size as your young glider may do well with her but keep in mind you need to give that glider some time to adjust to your home before beginning the process of introducing the two gliders. An adult glider that has been alone for some time may or may not accept your young glider as a cage mate.

Another young glider - either another female or a neutered male - would most likely be willing to accept her very easily. young gliders are easiest to introduce to each other.

With any second glider you get, a 30 day quarantine is recommended before you begin swapping pouches and toys in preparation for face to face day time (while they are sleepy) introductions. The quarantine should include two fecal tests 30 days apart to make sure there are no parasites to be shared with your glider. Your current glider should also have had a well check with a glider experienced vet and two fecal testings 30 days apart before beginning pouch swapping.
help!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Gliderpedia Discussion
help!