GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
I need some help!
I need some help!
Food, Diet
Jan 11 2016
05:16:17 PM
Hey guys!
Together with my girlfriend I'm a new sugar glider owner (2 weeks), we live in Portugal and we found a couple for sale here which is unusual, so we read and read then read some more about them, including this forum... We thought we were 100% ready so we bought them but now we face a problem we did not forsee... Most suplement websites do not ship to Portugal and we face ourselves in a bad position, we managed to find glider-cal and gliderade nectar on Amazon, and we are willing to pay the 60$ shipping but we dont know if the nectar is nearly enough as a replacement for something like glider booster or a regular multivitaminic... That's the whole point of this post: Is there anything we can add to their diet to sactisfy their multivitamins needs? (We are currently giving them the priscilla diet or fresh sugar glider diet (the frozen cubes one) and we found a local mealworm seller..
Please help, we are not looking forward to being neglecting owners (of their feeding needs atleast)

Edited by - Rodolfo on Jan 11 2016 05:17:32 PM
Food, Diet
Jan 11 2016
06:11:04 PM
kiwi3435 Face Hugger Visit kiwi3435's Photo Album kiwi3435's Journal FL, USA 687 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I am also feeding the Pricilla Price diet. You have to make sure that along with the diet you feed the specially made calcium supplement that is formulated on thepetglider.com . It makes completes the nutrional needs for this diet.

In order to feed more of a variety with this diet, I found that making a second batch to feed ( with different fruits and veggies ) every other night or so allows more of a variety.

I think this is the only diet that requires the least amount of added in supplements, that way you don't have to order and ship more things.
Food, Diet
Jan 11 2016
06:25:11 PM
Rodolfo Starting Member 5 Posts
Hello and thanks for replying!
The problem with their product is that they dont ship it to Portugal or anywhere near :/ Like I said, I've been looking everywhere for days and those two suplements I mentioned were the only ones I found that could be shipped here... It just happens to be Amazon, but I did search every NA website...
Thanks for the variety suggestion tho!

Edited by - Rodolfo on Jan 11 2016 06:26:22 PM
Food, Diet
Jan 11 2016
07:44:11 PM
kiwi3435 Face Hugger Visit kiwi3435's Photo Album kiwi3435's Journal FL, USA 687 Posts
That is a big problem.... You can only feed the Pricilla price diet if you feed the multivitamin with it....are their any other diets that you can get the supplements shipped to you?
Food, Diet
Jan 11 2016
09:11:08 PM
Blood biter Glider Visit Blood biter's Photo Album TX, USA 65 Posts
Hey I'm sorry to hear your dilemma maybe this diet maybe easier take a look.

or
The Pet Glider Fresh Diet
www.thepetglider.com/glider-care-info/nutrition-system#Recipe
This recipe is enough for 2 gliders for 30 days

Note to those currently on The Pet Glider Exotic Diet:
Wehave not changed our base recipe. The following recipe is formulated with twogliders in mind.
Youcan continue to prepare it the way you always have, do not let this confuseyou!

Notes to the beginnerchef and the seasoned cook: Nutritional variety is important for healthy, happy sugargliders. We recommend that you try making several versions of this recipe(changing the fruits, veggies and protein) at one time so you can feed yourgliders a variety during the month. However, if time does not allow for this,be sure you change up your recipe on a monthly basis and give them a variety ofhealthy treats.
Amount
Ingredient
Notes
8 ounces / 1 cup
Fresh or Frozen Fruit
At least 4 different types
Not Canned
Either finely chop or use a food processor.
Favorites include: oranges, papayas, tangerines, pineapples, mangos, cantaloupes, bananas, kiwi, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and cherries that have been pitted. If you peel a fruit before you eat it, then peel it for your sugar glider.
DO NOT FEED RHUBARB.

8 ounces / 1 cup
Fresh or Frozen Vegetables
At least 4 different types
Not Canned
Either finely chop or use a food processor.
Vegetables – fresh or frozen - not canned. When using frozen vegetables, get regular mixes (no sauces or Asian flavoring). Favorites include: sweet potatoes, kale, collards, green beans, , beets, peas, lima beans, carrots, jicama, bok choy, squash, red bell pepper and snow peas. Small amounts of corn are ok but be very careful. Corn is high in phosphorus and it is fattening and of course sugar gliders love corn so they will always eat that first. Small amounts of broccoli and cauliflower are ok, but overdoing produces excess gas in the sugar glider and that makes them very grumpy. DO NOT FEED GARLIC, LEEKS OR ONIONS OF ANY KIND.
6 ounces
Plain (full fat) Yogurt - No Artificial Sweeteners
Such as Stoneyfield Farm or Dannon
3 ounces
Calcium Fortified Orange Juice Concentrate
You can substitute regular orange juice if you are unable to find one that is calcium fortified.
2-3 ounces
Uncooked oatmeal
Use five minute regular oats, not the quick cooking kind. The oatmeal is nutritious and thickens your mix. More or less will be needed depending on the water generated by your fruits and vegetables
32 ounces / 4 cups
Applesauce
Unsweetened is best
6 ounces
Protein
Protein – Favorites include cooked chicken, ground turkey and eggs. You can boil, broil or roast the chicken, pan cook the ground turkey using extra virgin olive oil and scramble the eggs. We do not recommend you give your sugar gliders pork or beef because of the high fat content and once again, fat gliders are not happy and health.

1 tablespoon
Ground flax seed or wheat germ (Optional)
This is optional if you are using fresh fruits and vegetables.

Directions:
1. Finely chop your fruits and vegetables.We recommend using a food processor. If you do not have one, make sure you chopyour fruits and vegetables into small pieces. Remember the size of the animalyou are preparing food for.
2. Cook your protein – chicken, turkey, oreggs.
3. In a large bowl, put all ingredientsexcept the oatmeal and stir vigerously. You want to make sure all ingredientshave been incorporated and mixed thoroughly.
4. Depending on the thickness of your mix,add oatmeal. You do not want a runny or too thick of a mix, but one that hasthe consistency of a cake mix.
5. You will want to divide the mixture insmaller containers to freeze. Here are some recommendations.
a. Use ice cube trays. Measure twotablespoons of the mixture into the individual ice cube holes. After they havefrozen, you can pop them out, put them in a freezer bag, then into a plasticfreezer container and take out to thaw on a daily basis to feed your babies.You also have the option to feed the portions frozen because they do thawquickly.
b. Or you can divide your mixture into 10smaller containers and freeze. Each container will last 2 gliders for 3 days.You would not want to divide your mixture into larger containers because youwant the mixture to be fresh. You do not want the mixture to be in therefrigerator longer than 3 days.
6. Sprinkle your multi-vitamin with calciumon top of the food your serve each day. Use 1/8th teaspoon of vitamins persugar glider. Always keep your multi-vitamins with calcium powder in therefrigerator, but do not freeze.

Food, Diet
Jan 11 2016
09:12:22 PM
I don't know how far they ship but it might be worth a look
Food, Diet
Jan 11 2016
09:14:02 PM
I don't know how far they ship but it might be worth a look
Food, Diet
Jan 11 2016
11:50:42 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
hello,

TPG does ship to europe, the delivery method is just not included in the database, but you can order directly by mailing Dale Hyde (in the contact page) and he'll send you a paypal invoice ;)
Food, Diet
Jan 12 2016
06:43:41 AM
Blood biter...that is the diet he is currently feeding....lol!
Food, Diet
Jan 12 2016
10:59:04 AM
Bossihamham Glider Visit Bossihamham's Photo Album Bossihamham's Journal 195 Posts
There are diets you can make at home that don't require ordering anything.

Try the bml diet. It's a mixture of baby foods and honey.

There's also one called the suggie soup I believe, that is a mixture of fruit juice and proteins.

What you can also do is go to exotic nutrition's website. I usually don't recommend their food but it might work in your case. If they ship to Portugal then you can order their product called zoo pro. It similar to the wombaroo protien powder that is used to make a variety of glider diets. You would be better off getting the wombaroo powder if you can get it shipped to you for a reasonable price.

You take whatever protien powder you get and mix it with honey, hard boiled eggs, and bee pollen. This diet is called HPW. You can search it on this website or google and you will find different varieties of the hpw diet and the exact measurements for each ingredient. Pick whatever works best for you. Freeze the mixture in ice cube tray. 1 ice cube feeds two gliders. This is just the protien though. You will also need to serve 1 tablespoon of fruit and one tablespoon of veggies per glider.

With the hpw diet you can serve a variety of fruits a veggies. Cut them up into chunks. The gliders are perfectly capable of picking up the chunks and eating the fruit and veggies. Leave the skin on too. They will eat around it.

I hope this helps and congrats on you new suggies.
Food, Diet
Jan 12 2016
05:22:50 PM
Rodolfo Starting Member 5 Posts
Thank you very much for the help guys!
We contacted Dale about the shipping and we will be waiting for a reply from him now.
We'll give it a day or 2 before we consider the other diet you sugested Bossihamham, but it does look good and easier to get its ingredients depending on the reply we get from TPG.

Thanks
I need some help!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
I need some help!