Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Baby sugar glider feeding
Question
Jan 19 2016
11:30:24 PM
So I recently bought my baby sugar glider pellets and she's starting to look for food to eat but won't eat the pellets if she's away from the rest of her family. The only problem with that is the parents like to eat her baby food.. Any suggestion on how to get her to eat her food while away from her parents? She follows everything they do.
Question
Jan 20 2016
02:01:41 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Provide plenty of food and varieties of food for the gliders...a half or whole portion more than you provided for just the parents. If she is away from her parents (I'm not sure if you meant separated or just has wandered but is still in the cage with them) she is beginning to learn to do things on her own. She's also following them and learning everything from them, if she's eating well with them then she seems to be acting like a normal young glider. She doesn't need to be on a separate baby food now that she is up and investigating things on her own and eating well. I'm sure that pellets aren't very appealing to her, she would prefer a nectar type staple with protein (see some of the recipes in the gliderpedia above) and some fruits and veggies.
Question
Jan 20 2016
04:14:30 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
What diet are you feeding the parents?

How old is the joey.

Pellets are not a good way to get any of your gliders the nutrients they need daily.

The joey may not be able to digest the dry pellets.

The joey should not need anything special - she will follow her parents to the food dish and eat the same staple, fruits and vegetables you offer them each night.
Question
Jan 22 2016
09:36:43 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
First of all, pellets are not at all natural for gliders and probably don't taste very good. Try feeding half a hard boiled egg (NO salt) and some fresh apple and cucumber. Other than that, it really depends on how old she is. Joeys don't care about solid food until around 6-7 weeks, and before that the mom still feeds them.
You need to get your gliders on real food. They need fresh fruits and veggies and protein every night. Look up Original HPW diet, that's what I use for protein.
Question
Jan 28 2016
11:23:20 PM
adelynamaris Joey 28 Posts
The parents get fresh vegetables and fruits every night along with HPW diet. They love their pellets but I don't give them too much. I bought the baby food because sadly her brother passed away at a very young age because the mother rejected him so I just wanted to make sure that this baby got all the nutrients she needed because it was very sad to see her brother go. She loves the parents pellets which is why I thought she would like the baby pellets. Once I put it on the cage the parents are the ones who eat it not her.
Question
Jan 29 2016
04:32:34 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Take the pellets out at night - this will encourage them to eat the HPW, fruits and vegetables.

The HPW is what your joey needs to be eating, not pellets.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders