Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Attempting to Learn More About SugarGliders Before Bringing It Home
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jan 24 2016
06:58:00 PM
Hi there, my name is Shyla, I'm a 21 year old college student (pre-veterinary) and I'm wanting to do a lot of research before bringing a new baby into my home.
I was recently at a home&garden show about a month ago in my home state where I first saw sugar gliders and have been trying to find out reliable, true, and real information about sugar gliders that aren't biased by people who are trying to sell them.
Which is what led me to this lovely site, haha.
What can you guys tell me about being a parent of a Sugar Glider. I've read a lot of the Gliderpedia, but just person to person, what should I honestly know? I'm doing my best to not make a jump decision, and to make sure I'm taking on more than I can handle just because I think they're very sweet.
Any advice is good advice, and I just want to make sure I know what I'm getting into before I take on this commitment.
Thankyou,
Shyla

Edited by - shyskeletons on Jan 24 2016 07:05:16 PM
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jan 24 2016
07:22:35 PM
kiwi3435 Face Hugger Visit kiwi3435's Photo Album kiwi3435's Journal FL, USA 687 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Great job! You are doing research and thinking much into it. Everything form the Gliderpedia is relaible info so is good you read there. First few things you need to think about: which diet plan are you choosing? Have you picked out any cages online? Looked at any wheels? Do I have enough time to bond and take care of gliders? Are there rescues near me? Can I afford two gliders? What about relaible breeders? These are the main questions you need to consider.

You are doing great so far. I highly recommend the Glidrkids staple diets, Pricilla Price, and LGRS suggie soup but their are many others that people feed. ( HPW, BML, OHPW )

For the cages, any of the Brisbane cages are awesome! They are sold on suncoast and exotic nutrition. If you click on my profile you can see that the cage I have is two of the Brisbane cages stacked. You can also see my stealth wheel at the bottom. Custom choice cruiser wheels are fantastic though! (Wheels are little pricey though in my opinion)

You can also make fleece cage sets (you can see in my cage) or buy them from places like ETSY.

Their are many threads on here about bonding with your suggie and tips for it.

Good luck!

Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jan 24 2016
08:01:15 PM
shyskeletons Starting Member 2 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by kiwi3435

Welcome to the forum!

Great job! You are doing research and thinking much into it. Everything form the Gliderpedia is relaible info so is good you read there. First few things you need to think about: which diet plan are you choosing? Have you picked out any cages online? Looked at any wheels? Do I have enough time to bond and take care of gliders? Are there rescues near me? Can I afford two gliders? What about relaible breeders? These are the main questions you need to consider.

You are doing great so far. I highly recommend the Glidrkids staple diets, Pricilla Price, and LGRS suggie soup but their are many others that people feed. ( HPW, BML, OHPW )

For the cages, any of the Brisbane cages are awesome! They are sold on suncoast and exotic nutrition. If you click on my profile you can see that the cage I have is two of the Brisbane cages stacked. You can also see my stealth wheel at the bottom. Custom choice cruiser wheels are fantastic though! (Wheels are little pricey though in my opinion)

You can also make fleece cage sets (you can see in my cage) or buy them from places like ETSY.

Their are many threads on here about bonding with your suggie and tips for it.

Good luck!

Hi there, and thankyou!
Okay great, I'm glad I haven't been reading through this like crazy for no reason haha. For diet plan I had been looking at the Pricilla Price and a couple others, but I'm glad that one is a good one. ^-^

Cages wise, I'm a total loss for which is safe and going to give my little ones enough space. I've had large birds before that needed about the same size cages, but the actual brands for them, no clue.

I'm not really sure about wheels either unfortunately, it's hard to tell what they really would use/need, or maybe I'm just overwhelmed with information lol.
I definitely have the time & money for them, I'm pretty anti-social with people, and tend to be much more animal orientated lol.

I'm definitely planning on making their cage sets, I'm pretty crafty and they look like fun, plus I was reading recently that the more your scent is on the things they are surrounded by, the easier the bonding is (I obviously have no clue how true that is but I am willing to try anything haha)

Thankyou so much for your advice and your time! I'm excited and anxious all at the same time about starting this adventure.
Hope to talk with you soon,
Shyla
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jan 24 2016
08:18:50 PM
kiwi3435 Face Hugger Visit kiwi3435's Photo Album kiwi3435's Journal FL, USA 687 Posts
Actually, one of the bonding tips is to sleep with a piece of fleece and then cut it up into little "blankie" sizes that your suggies can sleep with in their pouch. It works!!

For wheels - www.deschas.cccruiser.com/bounceaction.html

For the pricilla Price diet - www.thepetglider.com/glider-care-info/nutrition-system and don't forget to also order their multivitamin with calcium that is sold on their website. It's a part of the overall feeding plan and has to be sprinkled on top nightly. (1/8 teaspoon per glider)

Cages- www.sugar-gliders.com/glider-cages/12-sturdy-sugar-glider-cage.html - or www.sugar-gliders.com/home/11-large-sturdy-sugar-glider-cage.html - or www.exoticnutrition.com/masuglca.html These are all great cages

Any other questions? :)

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders