Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
whisker and hair loss
whisker and hair loss
Health related
Jan 24 2016
10:26:41 PM
My 1 and a half year old female has recently been losing hair and whiskers around her nose. No change in diet, behavior is the same and she has a cage mate. Anyone else ever have this happen? Will her whiskers ever grow back?
Health related
Jan 25 2016
02:24:11 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
I'm sorry no one has checked in with this post yet.

With little information I can only give a couple thoughts.

Most often hair loss is due to over grooming. This can be brought on by an irritation or injury site, stress or boredom among other things.

Also, is there any possibility that there is something in the cage that she is fixated on...chewing on something...or anything that she can be pushing her nose into (for whatever glider reasons are for getting into things).

The fur will grow back as long as the underlying problem is resolved.
Health related
Jan 25 2016
02:38:33 PM
Jinkies Starting Member Visit Jinkies's Photo Album 5 Posts
I haven't noticed her fixated on anything in particular in the cage. I also have a humidifier to keep the air less dry while having the heat on. It started about a week ago and seems to have gotten worse. All her whiskers on one side are gone now. She'll groom herself while we watch TV but doesn't seem like she's doing it roughly or over grooming. I'm assuming if it was a mite or something the other glider would also be showing signs and he's not. I've also seen him grooming her but he's not violent with it at all. It's only around the mouth/nose she has the hair/whisker loss. I can post a picture later.
Health related
Jan 26 2016
09:49:28 AM
Well, with no change in their routine and no notice of over grooming or objects in the cage that could be causing this, I would have to suggest that a vet visit is warranted. They could do a skin scrape to see if there is a fungal or bacterial infection as well as a type of ecto-parasite. The area around the mouth and nose would seem to be a prime area (among others) for this type of infection.
Health related
Jan 26 2016
09:54:43 AM
Sorry...I meant to ask earlier. There is a possibility of dry irritable skin due to low humidity in the air. This time of year particularly when we have our heaters on. If you find that this is the case a humidifier would help.

This does not discount the thought that it might be a good idea to go have this tested by the vet to rule out the other possibilities as it would only get worse without treatment if it were to be one of them.
Health related
Jan 26 2016
05:00:07 PM
I dont think it's too dry I do have a humidifier near the cage because I was worried about their little ears. Here's a picture of the one side that's already missing all her whiskers. They arent easy to photograph unless it's snuggle time. I think Vet is probably a good option, I was just curious if anyone else has had this happen before.

Health related
Jan 28 2016
10:14:18 AM
Yeah, that's a tough one. It doesn't seem obviously raw and sore, doesn't appear to be affecting the eye although it's close to it. She looks very healthy (in this pick) otherwise. Yes, if it were mine I would take her to the vet for a skin scrape.
Health related
Sep 15 2016
11:09:54 PM
So I had finally figured out the cause of the whisker and hair loss around the mouth. It was those yummy yogie treats! Apparently when she was eating them she was also heavily grooming. Once I quit giving her those treats the hair and whiskers started to grow back.
Health related
Sep 16 2016
12:03:34 AM
Christy626 Glider 51 Posts
So glad to here you got it figured out. I was curious.
whisker and hair loss

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
whisker and hair loss