Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Gliderpedia Discussion
Medication to treat self-mutilation!!
Information
Jan 26 2016
11:08:30 PM
I have already posted this on another glider forum, but I thought I should share it here as well.

I recently had to take my male glider into the vet again. He has a history of mutilation (had to have tail amputation) due to a less than optimal start in life. This time we went in for a repeatedly blocked scent gland that he had decided to royally chew. My vet prescribed Gabapentin and he has been on it for a few weeks while he heals. The chewing stopped immediately. He hasn't worn a cone since the day of the incident and has been perfectly happy and healthy since. He has also stopped over grooming a habitual spot. I'm really amazed and made this account solely so I could tell people. About a month ago I was pouring through this forum thinking I was going to have to put him down because of the damage he had done and was going to continue to do. I'm just so thrilled he is ok now. He is healing nicely and I can send pictures and dosage amounts to anyone interested.

I know it isn't a "cure" but the fact that mutilation can be stopped in it's tracks is huge news to me. I used to think it meant hours of sleepless nights and keeping him busy until he was fully healed. And I apologize ahead of time if this is the wrong place or tags for this info, but I wanted to post as soon as I was sure that it was really working.
Information
Jan 27 2016
01:40:43 PM
SnugglyBuddies Starting Member 3 Posts
To clarify, I only offer pictures and dosage info for purely impact on me and the glider. This medication is only available through a vet and you should absolutely consult one before administering anything to your glider. My vet has a full history on my guy and watches his weight and other health aspects closely.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Gliderpedia Discussion