GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
I need advice on Priscilla Price and Glider care
Food, Diet
Jan 31 2016
12:03:29 AM
***Glider advice***
So he is the story, I am a new sugar glider own of two gals who are approximately 1 year old; I have had them for about 3-4 weeks now.
Before I received them they were fed a pellet and a liquid mix that was baby food, honey and a few other things with fresh fruits and veggies.
When I took over, I was struggling on deciding on a diet and getting all of the ingredients for one. I was feeding them a variety of foods (mealworms, apples, carrots, grapes, yogurt, scrambled eggs [no shell], snap peas, while offering the same pellet food as a staple) - no supplement was used.
On Tuesday night (1/19) I noticed one of my gliders were making an odd sound while urinating- I didn't think much of this as I am new to these sounds. On the 20th I heard the sound again and looked up what it might be and found it was "hissing" which "hissing while urinating" is a sign of a UTI (urinary track infection) - I also noticed one of my gliders would walk kind of odd (just that she was taking long strides with her back leg) and I was TERRIFIED it was HLP (hind leg paralysis.)
On Thursday the 21st, I took them both to a vet that treats sugar gliders ($52 per glider to be seen initial cost) - I explained everything to them and that I was trying to get them on the Priscilla Price diet but that the supplement had not come in yet.
The vet tested the urine for ONE of the gliders as the other pee'd on the veterinarian.
The urine came back with "very low white blood cells" and "had protein in it."
I was told to reduce the stress for the gliders (which makes sense they were stressed after being moved, diet change, and Im trying to blond with near adult gliders) - I was given an antibiotic liquid that I give 0.4 mL every 12 hours and an anti-inflammatory that is 0.2 ml every 24 hours. (for both of them) - he did test the feces for any parasites which he didn't tell me there were so I'm assuming there weren't. I mentioned the HLP but there was no check for this (no xray, no blood test) which concerns me but I am going to assume the best as my gliders are still running (hopping?) on the Raptor mod wheel and still eating and drinking. - I am almost positive their diet is what messed them up (UTI for the 1) I can't tell if the other is walking odd or if it is just in my head.

***Diet Advice***
After the vet visit I got all of the ingredients for the Priscilla Price diet and the supplement (glider complete) came in that morning so I made a batch with this:

4 veggies: Bok Choy (raw), Carrots, Kale & Sweet potato (white)
4 fruits: Blueberries, strawberries, bananas & pineapples
Calcium fortified OJ concentrate (the frozen one) no added sugars
Unsweetened Applesauce cups (8 cups = 32 OZ)
3 scrambled eggs (no shells) (6oz)
Danon whole milk yogurt
I then added raw oats (old fashion) - I didn't see that it said add oatMEAL until after I added them.
The consistency is good.

What concerns me is that I read this: files.meetup.com/768852/Ratios.pdf
And it seems by luck I may have picked a bad combo of ingredients-
Kale - High in oxalates, carrots - high in oxalates, blueberries - high in oxalates, strawberries - high in oxalates, bananas - SUPER high in phosphorus, sweet potato - high in oxalates. Bok Choy isn't listed (should I cook bok choy for them?)
So the C:Ph ratios?
carrots - 1.03:1
kale - 0.88:1
sweet potato - 0.21:1
pineapple - 1.61:1
strawberries - 0.74:1
blueberries - 0.5:1
bananas - 0.23:1
(I looked up bok choy and yay it is 3.2:1)
Am I correct to say that following the Priscilla Price diet isn't as easy as "pick 4 fruits and 4 veggies" or is this combination not as bad as I think it is. (I am adding the glider complete multivitamin on top as directed) - should I offer them anything other than the 4 tablespoons of the Priscilla such as a bit of apple or just the mixture alone?

Lets hypothetically say my glider has a calcium deficiency- will normalizing the levels now fix her (and she recover) - again the only real sign I had of HLP was a long stride on her back legs which could also be from the new running wheel (raptor mod).

I am very sorry for the EXTREMELY lengthy post/thread but I adore my gliders and being new to this I just need to know if I am doing this correctly and how I can improve.
Thank you for taking the time to read this and if you can help me in any way I would greatly appreciate it.

Edited by - Jaron on Jan 31 2016 12:11:41 AM
Food, Diet
Jan 31 2016
04:50:20 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
Hello,
welcome to the forum and congrats for your new gremlins gliders.

The diet itself cannot be the direct cause of UTI, which is caused by bacterias, it's rather an effect of stress combined with low hydratation which allow infections to occure. In any case, you did the right thing by bringing them to the vet, and antibiotics are the right treatment.

As for HLP, normalising the levels does not cure it, it needs supplementation of calcium, either by injection or orally, but it's not common to see HLP on gliders that young (besides it's a huge debate whether HLP is caused by diet, many data tend to indicate it's caused by an underlying infection which prevents the body to assimilate calcium rather than linked with the calcium they eat).
For now, you should keep a close eye on them to see if it occures all the time or if it just one single occurence.

About the diet now, with Pricilla Price diet, you do not have to worry about the ratios, most of the calcium being brought by her supplement. The key is diversity, making several batch with different fruits and vegs in order to have different recipes to offer throughout the week. Remains that it's a good idea to not use too similar vegetables on the same batch (dark green leaves being high in oxalate, use only one each time, oxalate, besides modifying the calcium absorbtion also can create crystals and be hard on the kidneys) and to not mix too many acid fruits at the same time either.

PS: no, you don't need to cook bokchoi, raw is fine. You can try both and see what they prefer (mines prefer steamed carrots over fresh for example)

Edited by - sjusovare on Jan 31 2016 04:51:39 AM
Food, Diet
Jan 31 2016
08:58:17 AM
kiwi3435 Face Hugger Visit kiwi3435's Photo Album kiwi3435's Journal FL, USA 687 Posts
Sjusovare covered the UTI questions and diet but I'm going to talk about it a bit more. Also I'm not sure if you noticed but the recipe calls for 4 cups of applesauce not 8.

I used to feed Pricilla Price and when I would make a batch each month I would offer at least 6 fruits and 6 veggies in the mix. I didn't calculate any of the ratios because the vitamin you sprinkle nightly fixes any of the upside down ratios. The veggies you put in the mix are too high in oxalates and although they are high in calcium oxalates are not good to be fed everyday. Same with the fruits.

Here is an example of one of the mixes I made: mango, papaya, pears, strawberries, kiwi, blueberries, canataloupe
And then veggies: zucchini , sweet potato, cucumber, butternut squash, yellow squash, peas, red pepper
Then of course the yogurt, applesauce, calcium fortified orange juice, protein (I always used boiled chicken or turkey) and the raw oatmeal. This is a perfect example of a mixture that you freeze and will last a month or more. Papaya is very high in calcium so it is a very good fruit to use.

I would make a batch like this, then when it is halfway gone, I would make another batch with a different combination of fruits and veggies. Then one night I feed a cube of the new batch, then the next night I feed the older batch. This way they don't get bored too quickly. If I wanted to feed kale one night (Wednesday is my "salad" night) I just cut up a little apple and a little kale, and then mix it in with the nightly cube. This way they don't have kale in the nightly mixture but I can still offer it.

I know it's a bit confusing, just hope this cleared it up.
Food, Diet
Jan 31 2016
11:40:17 AM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Congratulations on your new babies!!! And kudos for taking in a pair of a little older gliders, and taking them to the vet! I too homed my first pair, both girls at about 1 year old, and then my single male almost two years later at age 4.

I'm not really that familiar with Priscilla Price diet, have heard of it though. With what I have heard, advice given makes perfect sense. The only thing I'd contribute to this conversation is from what I heard about diets using add-in supplements at time of serving, is it's best to stir them in at the time rather than leave sprinkled on top. This prevents one glider from lapping up most or all of the supplement and the other(s), not fortunate enough to get to the bowl first to have enough if any. So follow what you have learned, but if you don't already, please remember to mix the daily addition of supplement into the serving.

Looking forward to hearing more about your new babies, have you named them?
Food, Diet
Jan 31 2016
04:37:06 PM
Jaron Starting Member 2 Posts
Thank you all so much for the advice- as for the walking funny observation I had to laugh at myself and my self-worry because I found that my glider was just using the cage to scratch an itch
@Tjones9 - I had trouble naming them but I went with Mas & Menos (because one is very active and isn't shy while the other is very shy and other characteristic attribute)
@Kiwi - I didn't consider adding veggies to the mix past the 4; my gliders are sticking their nose up to it lately so I have been mixing a bit of honey in it to encourage them to eat it but I will try what you said and mix veggies they like in.
PS: when I said 8 cups I ment the cups they come in, not the metric cup- but each "applesauce packaging" equals 4 oz and the recipe calls for 32oz.
@sjusovare - what you said really put me at ease- thank you for the advice; I am glad that this wasn't the horrible train wreck I thought it was.

Thank you all for your help.
Food, Diet
Feb 01 2016
06:11:02 PM
Okay, now I'm strongly considering on trying out a new diet for my trio. The one I've been using is liked by my gliders, but there have been so many changes mades since I chose it, which was do to the simplicity. Now it's getting more complicated for me, and it's also a bit pricey. So I'm considering looking further into the Priscilla Price.

Questions:
Part 1
On a scale of 1-5 (1 being the easiest) how complicated is it to:
Purchase needed ingredients?
Prepare and store?
Daily servings?

Part 2
On a scale of 1-5 (1 being the least) how expensive is it to purchase?

Part 3
On a scale of 1-5 (1 being the least) how long does a batch last approximately for 3 gliders?

Thanks for any answers provided.

Also need to know if the Monkey Biscuits, cereal, and meal worms are a required part of the diet or add-on recommendations. I currently offer Happy Glider fruit flavored pellets, a few in forage toys each day, and I offer Camillies freeze dried worms on nail trim days.

Edited by - TJones09 on Feb 01 2016 06:17:24 PM
Food, Diet
Feb 01 2016
06:34:31 PM
kiwi3435 Face Hugger Visit kiwi3435's Photo Album kiwi3435's Journal FL, USA 687 Posts
I used the Pricilla price diet and my gliders loved it!

To me, the Pricilla price was extremely simple to make and store. The ingredients are very simple and you can find all of them in just one store. I make the mix per month then once it is halfway gone, I make another mix with a different fruit veggie combo so they get a variety. One night I feed one mix, the next I feed the other. This isn't necessary though . After I make the mix, I put 1 tablespoon per icecube in an icecube tray then in the morning, I pop all the cubes out and store in the freezer in plastic bags.

Serving each night is easy because you just need to pop out the cube from the freezer and set in the cage to thaw. The fruits and veggies are already in the mix so you don't need to add anything additional except for the calcium (1/8 teaspoon per glider) that is sold on the pet glider. Each glider gets 2 tablespoons of the mix nightly. (my girls never ate that much but it's recommended to feed that serving size) . So for this one I rate it a 2 1/2 to 3.

This diet you can add up to 7 fruits and 7 veggies to be out in the mix monthly and a minimum of 5 I believe so really the price depends on how many different fruits and veggies you get. All the fruits and veggies are the most expensive part.The applesauce, yogurt etc is relatively inexpensive. I rate this a 3, or 3/12

For two gliders the batch lasted a bit more than a month. (Like a few days more) so for three it shouldn't be much shorter. I rate this part a 2 3/4.

For the pellets and monkey biscuits, my gliders won't touch them. Although they love throwing them around the cage and making a mess with them for me to clean up in the morning.

The mealies I only feed occasionally because of the high fat content but they are not required in the diet plan.

Hope this helped!

Edited by - kiwi3435 on Feb 01 2016 06:52:59 PM
Food, Diet
Feb 01 2016
07:25:56 PM
Kiwi, this helped greatly, thanks.

The calcium/vitamins from Pet Glider, largest amount says it's abut 360 days per glider, so I'm thinking this may be a purchase I'll need to make about every 3-4 months for my three, does this sound about right?

I'm comparing costs as well as ease. The current diet I'm using can be done a little cheaper possibly over period of time, but I'm not sure of how much exactly. It's just getting more complicated for me with all the changes, otherwise I like the diet.

So if I chose to use eggs as main protein, which is included in current main staple nectar, would this be okay? I could try the chicken or turkey for occasional change, but most likely find the eggs would used for the most part.

Also, currently I use several of the already suggested f/v in my combos now, so I'm wondering if they would need to be changed often.

Sorry for the add on questions, I just want to do thorough research before ordering the supplement from The Pet Glider. I still have some current diet left, so I'm planning on using that up while I wait. Thanks again so much for your time in answering my questions.

Food, Diet
Feb 01 2016
07:48:10 PM
No problem!

I think the calcium will last a bit longer than 4 months....at least I think.

You can use eggs as the protein every time. I just find that once I thaw the food in the microwave (sometimes I forget to put it in the cage a bit before thy wake up) the eggs smell bad and I just can't stand it. My gliders preferred chicken as the protein but it just depends on the glider

The fruits and veggies will probably not have to be changed that often. Since you have three gliders instead of two, the batch will go a lot faster so they will get enough variety as you will need to make the batch again a bit sooner than I did.
Food, Diet
Feb 02 2016
02:50:28 PM
Thanks so much, again Kiwi.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders