Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Am I over protective of my gliders?
Health related
Feb 01 2016
10:25:16 PM
So for a lono time I wanted a small, soft, companion that I could keep on my person and have a little buddy always around me. I did tons of research and learned about sugar gliders. I read that many owners take their gliders everywhere. Of course I wouldn't take one to work with me or an unsafe place but I wanted to have a little buddy to keep with me in my pocket or in a pouch while I'm running simple errands.

I bought a male and female glider in June 2015 and since then they've had a female joey (6 months oop) and a male who is now 2 months. I've had the dad neutered and plan on having baby boy neutered as soon as vet gives the ok. When I took dad to get neutered I was so anxious that he would be too stressed out from being away from home and his family but the vet tech told me he was super friendly and active.

Anyway, aside from having him neutered, I have never taken my gliders out of the house with me. At night I let them come out of their cage and play in my room but even then I'm terrified that they will get into something and get sick or injured. I obsessively keep my room as clean as possible so it will be safe for them to come out. But even when I vacuum the floor I get so worried the noise is scary to them. I've read that gliders can get stressed easily and die from stress. I get upset with my boyfriend for watching movies too loudly in the bedroom while they sleep.

I care about them so much and I worry that they aren't getting the most out of life with the routine they have now. I'm torn because I want to spend time with them and I know they need lots of interaction. But at the same time I know i feel that if I'm handling them too much during the day they'll become stressed.

Im just stating to feel like I'm overprotective. Like maybe they aren't as fragile as I think they are? I'm scared to try new toys and treats with them unless I do hours of research first. Can someone give me advice or say something reassuring??? I just want to give my gliders the most love and comfort possible.
Health related
Feb 02 2016
07:15:10 AM
kiwi3435 Face Hugger Visit kiwi3435's Photo Album kiwi3435's Journal FL, USA 687 Posts
it's okay to be protective of your little fur babies. yes they are fragile and can get into unsafe things.

have you tried using a large bonding pouch that you can carry around during the day while they sleep? they will get used to being around you even more.

for the toys and treat......you are right to be very cautious but you can simply go on to suncoast sugar gliders and order some of the "natural treats" or mini yogurt drops for your babes. this is where I get all of my treats. a favorite here is dried coconut and mini yogurt drops. if you are worried about toys being unsafe, I suggest going on to "thesugargliderstore.com" and order some toy parts. I just ordered some plastic chain and little plastic pacifiers, rings and plastic connecters. you can make the toy anyway you want and you can make sure the toy is safe:)

if you are worried about making it unsafe then I suggest searching online for handmade toys. but it's more expensive!

if you put your gliders in the bonding pouch during the day, you won't disturb them too much. as long as they get at least 4 hours of sleep during the day (undisturbed) then they will be fine:).

worrying is good because we want the best and safest environment for our babies, but too much worrying is not good, you don't want to be stressed:) I don't blame you though, I'm a clean freak too.lol I always recheck the bathroom before bonding for anything unsafe that my little ones can get into.
Health related
Feb 02 2016
03:34:11 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Hi Kaydee,

From reading your post I would say you're doing a good job! The fact that they get out of their cage for play time makes much more of an impact on their needs than taking them out in a bonding pouch while running errands. Sure, they will get accustomed to going out with you and will be perfectly fine doing so...but, while they sleep and are in the pouch it really is more of a comfort and cuddling time for you. All I mean to say by this is that by not taking them with you on outings...you are not depriving them.

Stress is much higher when they are being re-homed, when there are changes in the colony (losses, additions), etc. Once they are well settled into your environment they become very accustomed to the typical sounds of their home. I vacuum around the gliders while they sleep. They are in a central part of the house with the typical family activities as well as the tv. They're ok with all of this. They may partially wake up and change positions in the pouch...but, no big deal.

I watch tv in my room during their out of cage time. Yes, I'm as particular about checking the room before bringing them out, of course. While they are out is the only time I really monitor the TV. This is due in part to the size of the tv. Anything that is action packed or 'flashy' is out of the question, as well as the sound levels. No bombs bursting in air, so to speak. They will freeze if there is too much activity going on with the tv. My girls just love the classics. They say some of their favorites are Cary Grant and Doris Day. Although among the modern films they really like Lincoln.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders