Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Glider Stories
beware "expert" exotic vets..
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 19 2016
01:43:37 AM
I don't actually have a question, just an odd experience i'd like to share. I have had my 2 gliders for nearly a year now. A neutered brother(Bo) and his twin sister (Pie). I got Bo neutered in the beginning and i did years of research before finally committing to buy them from a breeder. I researched exotic vets near me and found one nearly an hour away. Said she'd been doing this stuff for decades so i trusted her. She neutered Bo and everything went fine. Over charged me like crazy but at least it got done right. She was very friendly and professional and made effort to answer all questions. However, after talking with her asking questions about the everyday care for gliders i realized i knew more than her. I told her they were on the Priscilla Price diet along with crickets, yogurt drops and mealworms for treats and she told me it sounded like they could be at risk for being malnourished on this diet. She then gave me a printout of tips and facts for gliders and it was from the ASGV site. She told me they needed to be on a pellet diet as fresh fruits and veggies could be lacking in nutrients they needed and pellets were formulated to provide everything and no other food was needed except fruit for snacks. I already knew that was not right but i wasn't really sure what to say. She was great with my gliders and Bo healed very nicely. I just never went back although i haven't needed to. Just confused at how an exotic animal vet in business for decades and so seasoned with the medical procedures they require could be so ill-informed about their basic needs. I stayed on the path i was already on and threw away the paper. My gliders are very bright, happy and healthy. Point of the story is to watch out. Very nice lady, great with animals but just....what the hell. I don't know. I was just reading on here someone talking about not ever questioning the vet's judgement and it got me thinking maybe i needed to put this out there for perspective.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 19 2016
03:57:39 PM
kiwi3435 Face Hugger Visit kiwi3435's Photo Album kiwi3435's Journal FL, USA 687 Posts
That you for sharing. Wow, interesting. She must have been mislead when caring for gliders because pellets are not good for them and can cause MANY health problems.

It is good to share stuff like this because some people out there trust these people and think all the things they tell them are correct. It's great you did tons of research because some people can just be pointed in the wrong direction and think they are helping their gliders but really, they are harming them. I wish pocket pets wasn't qualified to spread information because they are lying to so many people and hurting many gliders. I

t's very sad to think that some gliders will spend their whole lives eating a piece of Apple and pellets every night.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Glider Stories