Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Possible UTI
Possible UTI
Health related
Apr 05 2016
02:57:34 PM
So, I've had my 2 girls for about 9 months now. I've noticed one of my glider's cloaca sticks out when she goes potty. It seems to take her longer to go to the bathroom when compared to her cagemate. She seems to of been like this for a couple months. I would just randomly see her cloaca stick out. Then later it would go back in and look normal and furry. It doesn't look red or swollen, it would just stick out. Her cage mare doesn't have this problem. I sort of brushed it off since she ate normally, was still very energetic, and looked very healthy.

Now I've noticed that she spends more time in the pouch. She's always been a sleepyhead so it's been really hard to tell if she's acting abnormal. But even my husband noticed that she was spending a lot of time in her pouch recently. At one point last night I noticed she was making a strange noise. I can only guess it was the hissing noise while trying to go potty, since she was just walking around in the cage and her cagemate was still in the pouch. That was the clincher for me. So, it's time for a vet trip for my little Peanut. I think it's possible she has an infection.

I haven't tried pumpkin or cranberry juice yet in case anyone was wondering, and yes they are on a nectar diet with fruits a veggies.
Health related
Apr 05 2016
03:32:45 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
I'm happy to hear you're getting her to the vet.

The pumpkin is effective for diarrhea, not uti.

Another possibility is that she's experiencing frequent constipation, since it has gone on possibly over a couple months.

Keep us updated! It's always good to share the outcome of a vet visit.
Health related
Apr 05 2016
04:18:28 PM
Bossihamham Glider Visit Bossihamham's Photo Album Bossihamham's Journal 195 Posts
I made an appointment for tomorrow. I'll let you all know how she is.
Health related
Apr 06 2016
03:32:50 PM
Bossihamham Glider Visit Bossihamham's Photo Album Bossihamham's Journal 195 Posts
Here's an update.

So I made an appointment at one vet for this morning. I got a call last night basically saying the doctor had something come up and won't be in all week. So I called some other places. I found a place near my job, literally across the street who was willing to accommodate me. The receptionist was very nice. She made an appointment for me but she wasn't sure if the doctor would be able to see me, since the doctor wasn't in at the moment. She would find out in the morning if the doctor could take me. She said that if she will take my glider, to bring her to the office around 2 pm (since I work and that's my lunch break) and then come by after work around 6:30pm.

So fast forward to this morning. I got the call and they are able to take my glider. They asked instead of bring my glider at 2 could I just bring a urine sample instead. Then bring my little Peanut to the office at 6:30. I told them how am I supposed to bring them the sample and they ending up setting aside a syringe and container for the urine. My luch break came around and I picked up the syringe. I went home and throughly cleaned the bottom pan for my cage. I brought it in my tube and made sure to use hot water and soap and cleaned it. My plan was simple, wake the gliders up and wait for her to pee on the pan.

Unfortunately, Peanut was not having it. I'm not fully bonded to my gliders yet. So I flipped the pouch inside out and woke up my gliders. My healthy glider Almond went potty as soon as she came out and proceeded to run around. Peanut just sat there for a while and didn't go potty at all. She then started to run around and I tried to keep her on the bottom but she was climbing all over the place. I swear she didn't pee at all. She did poo a little but I had her awake for 15 minutes and she didn't pee.

So I called the vet again and I'm gonna try to get another sample when I go him to pick her up for her appointment. They really want me to get a urine sample when she's home and not stressed since being stressed CB change a glider's urine. Who knew? I'm worried now since it seemed like she tried to pee but couldn't or peeing hurts her to the point where she doesn't want to. Hopefully things will go well at her appointment tonight.
Health related
Apr 06 2016
04:18:29 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
Man, that is is going to be tough to even get a drop! Good luck!
Health related
Apr 06 2016
07:56:14 PM
So Peanut is home.

I tried getting a utine sample before the appointment but she didn't pee again...

She was good for the drive to the vet. The vet saw her and weighed her and I told her all the trouble Peanut is having. Of course while examining her, Peanut got loose. We chased her around the office for a couple minutes before I caught her. The vet examined her through the pouch while a helper held her down. We were hoping she peed on the floor but of course she didn't. They felt her bladder and it was not large which is good. The problem is without a urine sample we technically can't confirm if she has a UTI. The only other option would be to sedate her and take urine out of her bladder through a needle. I wasn't about to put my glider through that.

So she is on antibiotic once a day. Hopefully she will get better in a few days. If she doesn't then back to the vet we will go.
Health related
Apr 06 2016
08:12:53 PM
kiwi3435 Face Hugger Visit kiwi3435's Photo Album kiwi3435's Journal FL, USA 687 Posts
wow, that visit must have been frusterating for sure. hopefully she gets better after taking antibiotics for a couple of days. get well soon peanut!
Health related
Apr 19 2016
08:42:36 AM
Here's an update on my little Peanut. I'm happy to say she is back to her old self. The medicine seemed to have worked. She's got more energy and running on the wheel again.
Health related
Apr 19 2016
09:25:46 AM
kiwi3435 Face Hugger Visit kiwi3435's Photo Album kiwi3435's Journal FL, USA 687 Posts
awe that sounds fantastic! great news!
Health related
Apr 19 2016
06:57:17 PM
sarahinseattle Joey 30 Posts
Great! Glad to hear Peanut is doing much better.
Possible UTI

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Possible UTI