Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Brown discharge?!
Brown discharge?!
Health related
Apr 19 2016
03:48:49 PM
Hi GG, so yesterday morning I woke up at 6a and my 3 year old female was not doing well, very cold and weak and I really thought she was near death... I warmed her up, pushed some fluids and liquid diet (she was VERY dehydrated) and put her on the heating pad with some applesauce until the vet opened. By the time we got to the vet she had bounced back quite a bit but was still really dehydrated so the vet did fluids and ran a fecal (which came back suggesting bacteria so she is on antibiotics).

While the vet was examing her this brown discharge came out of her genitalia (oh! also found out she's a hermaphrodite??) which the vet had never seen before and had I not seen it come out I would have thought it was diarrhea... Could it be something related to a UTI?

She is pretty much back to normal energy and appetite wise but earlier when I came home for lunch she was out for a potty break and her bottom was covered in the brown stuff... has anyone seen this before? Should I rush her back to the vet or will the antibiotics clear it up?
Health related
Apr 19 2016
07:00:44 PM
sarahinseattle Joey 30 Posts
I would call up the vet and ask, or take her in to the vet, since it's not worth the risk. Hope it clears up!
Health related
Apr 19 2016
08:52:27 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
There have been several hermaphrodite gliders discussed in the forums over the years.

The brown discharge may have been very concentrated urine if she was very dehydrated.

be careful putting her on any heat source - it can actually contribute to dehydration by over heating the glider. Usually keeping her on your body or tucking her in your bra is a good way to warm up a glider.
Health related
Apr 19 2016
09:19:01 PM
Savannah1363 Glider Visit Savannah1363's Photo Album 68 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Candy

There have been several hermaphrodite gliders discussed in the forums over the years.

The brown discharge may have been very concentrated urine if she was very dehydrated.

be careful putting her on any heat source - it can actually contribute to dehydration by over heating the glider. Usually keeping her on your body or tucking her in your bra is a good way to warm up a glider.

Thank you... hopefully that was the case...

I had the pad on low under the bin I had her in and plenty of layers, I promise I didnt cook her and she is back to her old self except for the messy bottom

Hopefully the antibiotics kick whatever she has!
Health related
Apr 20 2016
06:28:23 AM
slyo Super Glider Visit slyo's Photo Album USA 331 Posts
it's common in gliders? I thought that was very rare.
If it had not been a vet, I would have wondered if it might be possible your glider is a boy who had pom off neutering, that could leave a small slit where a girl glider's pouch would be.

Glad you are able to get her/him to a vet in time. Sorry, I'm not up to date with gender neutral pronouns
but how is everything going now? Any more updates?
Health related
Apr 21 2016
03:31:08 PM
Savannah1363 Glider Visit Savannah1363's Photo Album 68 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by slyo

it's common in gliders? I thought that was very rare.
If it had not been a vet, I would have wondered if it might be possible your glider is a boy who had pom off neutering, that could leave a small slit where a girl glider's pouch would be.

Glad you are able to get her/him to a vet in time. Sorry, I'm not up to date with gender neutral pronouns
but how is everything going now? Any more updates?

She's had babies before so I am 100% sure that she has lady parts haha

She's doing a lot better and is on day 3 of her antibiotics and calcium... I haven't examined her bottom today to see if the discharge is still happening but I will check tonight
Brown discharge?!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Brown discharge?!