Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
How do I clean the cage properly
Information
Apr 19 2016
10:12:56 PM
I have 3 gliders and a 2 story critter nation cage. I have quite a few fleece sets that I change out once a week but as far as deep cleaning I haven't gotten a good routine down. I bought some bird cage wipes and wiped their entire cage but that takes forever and I still don't feel like it's super clean. Is there a good safe cleaner that is best to use? Any tips on how you keep your cages clean would be great

Edited by - glider-Tracie on Apr 19 2016 10:14:31 PM
Information
Apr 20 2016
07:48:54 AM
JLR Glider Visit JLR's Photo Album JLR's Journal Canada 95 Posts
I have the same cage and I use a small hand held broom and dust pan to clean up the solid stuff and then wipes to clean the pans. If things are getting really smelly or dirty I use a spray bottle with very diluted vinegar on the pans and wipe it off but if you do this too much they just mark more. Also keep an eye on how dirty their wheel gets. To clean that I just take it out and spray it in the tub.
Information
Apr 20 2016
08:16:47 AM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
I personally use a steam cleaner. It cleans their cages really well and it is fast. Before that, I was using a solution of vinegar, water, and orange peels; taking the cage outside (or bathroom, depending on the weather), spraying it, and scrubbing it best I could, and letting it dry in the sun (or towel, depending on the weather).

You don't need to do this too often though (I do it like once a month). Just rubbing it with wipes a little bit once a week or every 2 weeks it is enough. If you clean too often, you will find that the smell may increase, and that is because your gliders will be trying really hard to scent their stuff. Fleece is a material that catches their smell the most, and that is something you want to change more routinely, but perhaps not all at once. Change just a few items at a time, leaving some that are already scent, and they won't be too inclined to make it so smelly. Wheels, however, need to be clean very often, since they can get sticky fast, specially if you use the trim pieces. I rinse wheels everyday (or every other day), and wash them thoroughly every week.

Hope this is helpful.
Information
Apr 20 2016
08:56:31 AM
kiwi3435 Face Hugger Visit kiwi3435's Photo Album kiwi3435's Journal FL, USA 687 Posts
every month, I take out their cage outside and hose it down with the "jet" setting on my garden hose. then I have a bucket with dawn dish soap and water mixed up. I take a dish scrubber with the different bristles and scrip down the cage. then I rinse it and let it sit outside in the sun for an hour or so to air dry. before I take it inside, I use a towel to get off any access water.

hope this helped!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders