Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Storms
Storms
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 21 2016
12:45:58 AM
I'm laying awake listing to a pretty loud hail storm, my poor little girls are not a fan of all the noise. I live in an area where loud wind/rain/hail is generally a pretty common occurrence this time of year. They, of course, do not want in their bonding pouch at this time of night. I have added them to my emergency plans should we need to seek shelter in case of a tornado & have their smaller starter cage in the cellar. I have an extra bonding pouch & an old zip up purse ready to go hanging by their cage. The plan would be to zip them up in the bonding pouch & then zip them in the purse as well to keep them protected & put them in the smaller cage in the cellar with us. *I also have a dog kennel down there for my other babies* this is more the ramblings of someone being sleep deprived than anything, just curious what emergency plans everyone has & if anyone has suggestions for helping them calm down during/after storms like this.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 21 2016
07:35:04 AM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
I keep a bag with emergency supplies for ourselves and another for the gliders, which includes an emergency kit (which I got from The Glider Initiative: www.thegliderinitiative.org/medical-supplies), water bottles, and baby food. I also keep their hospital cage (which is small, but will do in an emergency and it folds) next to it. I have a dog tent that zips at the bottom and top, which I use when we stay at places other than home and is more spacious than the hospital cage.

As for getting them to calm down during storms, that would be hard to accomplish. It is not just the noise that bothers them, but the atmospheric pressure changes as well. During storms they are always going to act out, best you can do is try to give them comfort while you're playing with them (if they do come out to play).
Storms

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Storms