Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Hate?
Hate?
Behavior
May 19 2016
01:29:17 AM
I've had my sugar glider for probably over five months and I think it hates me I don't know why because I did all of the bonding steps and every time I try to get it out of its cage it runs and jumps away from me when I move my hand even slowly towards it it runs and jumps away why she doing this is it me or her
Behavior
May 19 2016
09:39:38 AM
Cheechsmomma Joey Visit Cheechsmomma's Photo Album 32 Posts
Try using a pouch instead of your hand.
Behavior
May 19 2016
01:25:59 PM
Bcmer Starting Member 3 Posts
What do you mean use a pouch
Behavior
May 19 2016
04:30:08 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Welcome to the forum and to glider parent hood.

Read all you can in the forum - check out the Gliderpedia at the top of the forum header for general glider care information.

Your glider probably does not hate you - but has not yet learned to trust you and your hands.

First - gliders can be very frightened of hands - especially if the hand is coming down from above to pick up the glider. Instinct tells the glider to avoid a predator so it will run or jump away.

Does your glider have a sleeping pouch? You can take your glider out of the cage while she is still asleep by taking out the sleeping pouch and holding or clipping the top closed.

If you have a bonding pouch that zips closed and has a removable strap - you can hang the bonding pouch in the cage (unzipped) and let your glider sleep in it. Then you can take her out in the pouch, zip it closed and reattach the strap. The strap is an entanglement hazard and should not be left in the cage.

It appears that you have only one glider. Gliders are colony animals and are happier, and often easier to bond with, when they have a companion. If one glider is shy and the other is more comfortable with you - the shy glider will follow the more confident glider's lead.

Tell us a little more about your glider so we can offer more suggestions to help you and your glider get to know each other better. Did you get her from a breeder as a young joey or from a prior owner who did not spend much time with her. What are you feeding her? How large is the cage and what types of toys does she have in the cage to play with?

Behavior
May 19 2016
04:43:03 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
Try using a pouch as a 'fleece glove'. That way she doesn't see your hand coming at her. Don't grab her, let her climb onto your glove or scoop her up.
Behavior
May 23 2016
10:48:05 PM
Bcmer Starting Member 3 Posts
I did get her from a breeder and she was very young , the cage is about 4 by 3 and she has a couple stuffed animals and I feed her all the fresh fruit and veggies that she can eat along with vanilla calcium powder
Behavior
May 24 2016
12:58:32 AM
Klm612 Joey Visit Klm612's Photo Album Klm612's Journal NE, USA 26 Posts
What protein are you giving her? Also, a lot of gliders don't like being picked up. Hands are similar to bird claws. Do you do tent or bonding time? Major help. You let them be and they learn to trust you. Also, another glider is a bug help when it comes to bonding. You will notice a world of difference right away.
Behavior
May 29 2016
10:59:53 PM
Beryun Joey Visit Beryun's Photo Album Beryun's Journal 15 Posts
My Loki still gives me trouble too but I think that it's because I have so much for him to do in his cage that he would rather play in there. Once I do get him out after our lil game of tag. He is clingy and snuggles up to me. I won't lie I think when I first got this lil one he was neglected. He was clearly never hand tamed. People scared the * out of him. My hands would mostly be covered in horrible bit marks too. But over time we got really close. To the point where is now my ESA. He and I have come such a long way.now if he doesn't like something I do he lightly nips me but if I say ow (even if it didn't hurt) he immediately starts to lick where he nipped. it's been a long battle to get the trust he has for me. He even chases after me if I put him down and walk just a few feet away. For him I'm his tree and his mum. For me he is so much more. He has helped me in my worst just by crawling out his pouch and checking on me. (Even if it is day) I have never had such a bond with any animal. And it's like he understands that I have bipolar depression. I recently got him a buddy (another male.) They are getting used to each other but they are actually pretty good to each other. I do break up a fight here and there but it's never bad. Just be patient even I nearly gave up on mine but no I'm glad I didn't.

Edited by - Beryun on May 29 2016 11:01:32 PM
Hate?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Hate?