Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Male Sugar Glider holding down female? Acting funny
Health related
Jun 03 2016
10:33:55 PM
Okay so my male sugar glider, Stitch, has been acting controlling towards my female, Phoebe. He was neglected before I got him about a year ago. The owner who had him before me didn't get him a cage mate. His personality is very aggressive. I adopted Phoebe months later in hopes that they could be friends and he would be happier. I got Stitch fixed as well. After I got him fixed he still acted very controlling towards her, chasing her away from food, pinning her down. I thought maybe he wasn't fixed right. I wasn't sure. He toned it down a little bit and Phoebe seemed to like him doing that and snuggling into him so I thought it was normal that they be intertwined together in their pouch all the time. It has been 5 months they've been together and tonight when I went home I had a bad feeling and looked in their pouch. Stitch was pretty much holding Phoebe hostage and had a good grip on her. I feel like he is holding her down and her personality is so gentle that she wouldn't fight back. I looked close and it looked like he was trying to rape her, although I got him fixed (package cut but genitals still in tact and out). I pulled him away from her and he is almost oozing clear liquid from his back end. Don't know why but his tail is soaked and he keeps pushing as if he is cobsipated or something. I'm not sure.
So for tonight I put them in separate cages because I am so worried that he has terrified phoebe and that he has been doing it this whole time without me realising it. Stitch is 2 and Phoebe is about 7 months.
Any advice would be great thanks. So worried :(
Health related
Jun 03 2016
11:07:13 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Males that are neutered after reaching full maturity take a long time to fully calm down and will continue to mate with the female glider when ever she is in heat.

Over time he may begin to loose interest but there is also a chance that may always want to mate with her when she is in heat.

Just check her for mating wounds frequently.
Health related
Jun 05 2016
05:57:47 PM
mermaidxjess Starting Member 5 Posts
I had a feeling, thanks.
Any advice? Phoebe and stitch are currently in separate cages but I can tell she misses him even though he's mean to her sometimes. I just don't know what to do now. Wait till she's not in heat anymore and then put them together again? Or can they never be together again?
:/
Health related
Jun 05 2016
06:00:21 PM
mermaidxjess Starting Member 5 Posts
I just tried letting them out together and I went to inspect Stitch and he is urinating in very small amounts. Any idea what this is?
Health related
Jun 05 2016
06:44:01 PM
JLR Glider Visit JLR's Photo Album JLR's Journal Canada 95 Posts
Unless there are any other symptoms the urinating may just be him marking. My boy does that on us sometimes during tent time or on the floor of the tent
Health related
Jun 05 2016
07:49:52 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
He is marking his territory - and probably trying to attract his girl friend to come back.

His behavior is VERY normal for an intact male glider. Unless you want to keep them separate forever - you may as well put her back in the cage with him. They are both going to be unhappy if kept separate.

Having him neutered is the best way to calm things down.
Health related
Jun 05 2016
08:41:20 PM
kiwi3435 Face Hugger Visit kiwi3435's Photo Album kiwi3435's Journal FL, USA 687 Posts
if I read your original post correctly it said that he is neutered.....

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders