Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
To young to have joeys?
To young to have joeys?
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jun 07 2016
01:09:28 AM
I have two sugar gliders the female is 6 months OOP and my male is 9 months OOP . I have them together in a cage and I recently introduced the female to my male 2 weeks ago. My concern was can they produce joeys at this young age ? Because I know that the female should be at least 10-11 months OOP. I don't want her getting sick or dieing. I'm still a new mom and I'm very concerned because I've caught them mating all ready . And if I have to separate them I will
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jun 07 2016
10:52:45 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
It is not good for the female to carry joeys before she herself is fully grown. Nursing joeys can pull a lot of the calcium she eats for milk production instead of her body using it to build strength in her own growing bones.

There is no reason to separate them since they have already been together and both may be depressed if they are kept separated.

You do need to read up on breeding and how to care for rejected joeys if she does become pregnant. This web page has a wealth of information

http://www.suzsugargliders.com/educationalarticles.htm

Your best bet is to go ahead and have the male neutered and hope that she is not already carrying joeys.
To young to have joeys?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
To young to have joeys?