Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Two sugars are better than one ! -update
Behavior
Jul 06 2016
06:53:53 PM
So, as you all know about 2ish weeks ago I got a little boy to keep my kahini company. & my oh my has she BLOSSOMED ! my sweet little girl is sweeter than ever. For those who were like myself & thought they could give their baby all the love and attention they need please reconsider. Kahini was an easy baby from the start, all love, and cuddles, and kisses. But she was skittish wl fast movements. Since we got Kalu she enjoys sitting on my shoulder, & checking out the scenery while at home (something she never did before). She also runs to me & climbs up my legs if I walk around the bathroom (also new behavior). And best of all she allows me to hold her while I kiss kiss kiss her all over, while she grooms my fingers (before my kissing noises scared her bit she was tolerant) I thought I could provide her wl ample attention as I am a nursing student & had her on me from the moment I arrived home 5:30pm to when I was done studying/ready for bed @ around 1am (yeah the life of a nursing student hahaa) that's 8 hours of just me & her, running errands, cuddling, bathroom/tent play time, ect. About a month ago I noticed kahini over grooming a small spot on her head. I knew what the warning signs of depression were & immediately began looking for a companion. I was afraid once she had a friend she would love me less (how selfish of a thought I know) but I knew her health & well being were worth so much more, so I got kalu. They have not been introduced yet as the quarantine stage is not over, nor is he neutered yet. But boy has she changed. Just having someone who she can listen to & understand must be so comforting to her. & her bond to me is stronger than it was before. Almost as if she understands I got this friend for her to be happy. So please, if you feel you can keep one sugar glider alone, think again. Yes maybe they SEEM happy, but you will never know the happiest they could be until they have someone like themselves to share moments wl (or in this case conversations haahaa) I'm so happy I did what was right for her.

As for Kalu, he is definitely no where near as easy as kahini was, but he is no longer biting, & crabs much much less. This is only the beginning wl him so I know he will be just as lovable in a couple of months time as I gain his trust <3
Behavior
Jul 06 2016
07:16:47 PM
kiwi3435 Face Hugger Visit kiwi3435's Photo Album kiwi3435's Journal FL, USA 687 Posts
this sounds fantastic! your baby must be so happy to have a glider friend:)

as for your new one, he will be much more comfortable with you once he is with your previous glider. he will soon understand that you are a friend and mean no harm. plus you give out free treats!

when I got my new glider as a companion for my current one, she was mean, scared, and loved to crab. once I introduced her to my bonded glider, she turned into a new glider. she is now even more loving than my first one. during bathroom bonding she usually wants to hang around on my shoulder or on my head grooming me while my other glider hops around and explores while coming back to "check" on me every so often.
Behavior
Jul 06 2016
07:19:20 PM
athenaa Joey Visit athenaa's Photo Album 35 Posts
Oh, also I'd like to add. Buying 2 sugar gliders separately is a pain in the butt haha, two sets of dishes to wash, two dinners to prepare, two cages to clean, two bonding pouches to carry around. Just not a good time , get two right off the bat, save yourself the quarantine/intros headache ! :)
Behavior
Jul 06 2016
07:37:08 PM
athenaa Joey Visit athenaa's Photo Album 35 Posts
Kiwi3435 ... That's good to know :D I'll be looking forward to that once they're introduced lol, & yeah, what more are we here for than belly rubs and treats ! Haahaa

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders