Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Possibly blind sugar glider
Behavior
Aug 10 2016
11:46:39 AM
One morning I found my female sugar glider (Naudia) tilting her head. It seemed like one of her eyes were bothering her. I rushed her to the vetnarian. They did exrays on her. Everything looked great. They gave me antibiotics to give to her. The vet believe she could have had some type of trauma. My male sugar glider (Joey) is very dominit. They do fight over food, etc. The vet agreed that I should separate them. Naudia seems to be doing better. She still tilts her head just a little bit. I have noticed her running in circles at times in her cage. I believe she might be blind. When I would call her she would come right to me. Now she looks for me. She smells the food I have in my hand. The smell of the food brings her to me. How do you take care of a blind sugar glider? I am worried about her. Please help me.
Behavior
Aug 11 2016
02:30:23 PM
NyxandBenny Glider Visit NyxandBenny's Photo Album AB, CA 166 Posts
The vet would have to check the retina of the eye. An xray would only show an object in the eye. If she's got blue hazy clouds in the pupil it could be cataracts. Even if she's blind she should be fine as she's in captivity. Most vets around where I live won't charge for a 2nd appointment if it's within the same week. They usually charge the meds and possible exam fee.
Here as soon as I walk in to the office there's a 75 dollar fee not including anything it's really inconvenient lol
Behavior
Aug 12 2016
02:59:12 PM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Once you've taken her to the vet as Nyxandbenny suggested if you find out she has vision problems there are some simple things you can do to help her out, but for the most part she should the same as she ever was.
If she does have a vision impairment, it's helpful to keep some things in the cage the same instead of changing them up every time you clean the cage. Maybe a vine or something else that helps her get from the bottom of the cage to the top, besides climbing the sides. One or two consistent things will help her move around the cage with confidence, even if you do change everything else up when you clean.

If you already do tent time for play, then you're all set because that's my other suggestion. A tent will provide distinct, consistent, soft boundaries for playing. That way if she runs and bumps into a side, it won't hurt as much as a bathtub or wall.

How have you been doing with the food dominance? Are they still separated? If they are, and if she's now blind, you can decrease her stress by giving her some of the things from her old cage for a familiar smell. (You may have done that already) My vision impaired glider has two shelves with a ladder connecting them in her cage. I mention that because she uses them to navigate the cage ALL THE TIME. I don't include shelves in my other glider's cage because they prefer to climb and leap. But Luna can't leap because she can't see where she's leaping to, so the shelves and ladder help her get around.
*just FYI about my glider: she's not totally blind but we think maybe very nearsighted because she does react to stimulus directly in front of her eye (the vet showed me) and she DOES leap occasionally, but only when she's in the tent.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders