Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
How can I get Koko to let me pick her up?
Question
Sep 10 2016
09:59:04 PM
I have been trying to get Koko to like me. So far she seems to recognize me and approach me a little. But she is not happy about being picked up. I use cloth to get her from cage to pouch (which she hates and crabs about), but when I leave my hand in her cage to get her familiar with me, she comes over to nibble. She isn't crabbing or scared when she is nibbling. She doesn't get fed any lucky treats off my hand (I don't want to be thought of as a snack source). How can we get past this?
Question
Sep 10 2016
10:34:18 PM
Haley1279 Joey Visit Haley1279's Photo Album 35 Posts
Most gliders do not like to be picked or scooped up. Most just stay with you on your arm or something
Question
Sep 10 2016
11:06:19 PM
Pico Joey 16 Posts
How do I get her there? Does she eventually decide to stop tasting me and start hopping on?
Question
Sep 10 2016
11:28:02 PM
Haley1279 Joey Visit Haley1279's Photo Album 35 Posts
Mine don't crawl on my arm all the time. But what I did was got licky treats and put it on the tips of my fingers and ssst at them every time they bit me (so they will know that my hand is not a solid treat). And eventually I put the treats on the palm of my hand then some on my arm. And usually when I stick my hand in the cage now, they don't try to bite or nibble at it and come to see if I have anything. It tells them that your hands hold good things.
Question
Sep 11 2016
01:58:45 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
actually things might be easier if you did give her treats by hand
Question
Sep 11 2016
07:21:09 AM
Pico Joey 16 Posts
Sounds like licky treats may be the way to go...
I do hand her treats, but so far it has been small bits of food as opposed to something she can lick off me.
Question
Sep 11 2016
12:19:38 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
Licky treats are good, just remember the 3-lick rule. Pull back and reload before she bites (to make more sap flow).

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders