Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
What is a good diet?
What is a good diet?
Health related
Sep 22 2016
06:39:30 PM
I'm just joined this website because I have so many questions to ask.

I was wondering what a good diet is for my gliders. I've been feeding them fresh fruits, vegetables, glider complete pellets, and instant-HPW HIGH-PROTEIN SUGAR GLIDER FOOD. I sometimes add honey, more protein, and extra vitamins to it if I haven't made it for a while.

Lately I have noticed they aren't a pretty grey color anymore. I read that them turning brown can indicate that they have a poor diet. I want my babies to be healthy so please help me.
Health related
Sep 22 2016
09:58:35 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
My gliders were on Instant HPW, but after a while they quit eating it. I switched them to Original HPW (from The Pampered Glider) more than a year ago and they love it.

Whatever diet you decide to use, it is important to follow the directions exactly. If you add or reduce anything you are messing with the nutritional balance.

Click on the Gliderpedia for more diet info, and please feel free to ask us anything. Welcome!
Food, Diet
Sep 22 2016
10:17:36 PM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
Does the fruits and veggies effect the diet as well?
Health related
Sep 23 2016
12:54:00 AM
Christy626 Glider 51 Posts
The fruits and veggies will affect or not effect the diet depending on the diet you choose. When I got my babies a couple months ago I came here and read all the diets on the gliderpedia page. I decided on the fresh diet TPG by Pricilla because it was fresh food. Mine won't eat the HPW. Its a trial basis to see what works best for you and what your gliders will eat. As stated whichever diet you choose you must follow it 100% Giving treats is ok just read up on the diets and find one that you can commit to and follow exactly. I have been reading on here numerous threads for months and this place is a wonderful place for information and to get you started but you must do your research and learn as much as you can. Good luck with the babies and have fun. They are special.
Health related
Sep 23 2016
07:12:03 AM
When we say follow the diet exactly, we are talking about the nectar/staple that you mix up. If you reduce the honey or add extra vitamins you are skewing the brew.

The fruits and vegetables are on the side. I keep mine chopped and mixed together in the freezer. If I have fresh produce available I will give them that also. Most diets call for 1T fruit and 1T vegetable per glider.
Health related
Sep 23 2016
07:16:23 AM
If I run out of staple and don't have time to make more I give them some chicken baby food or plain scrambled egg for one night. They love that!
Health related
Sep 23 2016
07:18:58 PM
Thank you so much! :)
Health related
Sep 26 2016
11:41:02 PM
ginghisgliderkahn Starting Member 8 Posts
My gliders really like the fresh diet and I think it is a great diet for the fact that you can change it up everytime you make it by using different combinations of fruits and veggies so its not the same thing everytime. Both my gliders came from different homes and both were neglected and fed a crappy diet of pellets only. Why cant people be responsible if they are going to bring an exotic friend home, do the research and care for them properly! When I got Zoey, her fur was not healthy, it was discolored and not soft and fluffy. After a month and a half to 2 months on the fresh diet and a lot of love and attention, she was looking like a completely different glider. She has put weight on, she now has Soft fluffy fur, bright eyes, bushy tail. They had her in a tiny cage, no toys, never gave her any attention unless their little kids were screaming at her and banging on the cage. Her cage was tiny and never cleaned, her food was old and moldy I was shocked. Needless to say her bedroom is way bigger now (I don't like to call it a cage I call it her room) it is cleaned daily and rearranged biweekly, she is hardly ever in her room tho usually she is on me or exploring, she gets good fresh food and treats, has lots of toys, her life did a 180!
Health related
Sep 27 2016
12:02:42 AM
Is your fresh diet only fruits and veggies? I want to try and keep it as natural and less pellet and powder thingy as possible. I want the best for my gliders and am constantly trying to improve. I wasn't able to do any research before getting them because I got them from someone close to me who bought and didn't have the time for them. I have a lot of time to spend and bond, but I don't know everything and I'm far from perfect. If there are any tips you could give me that would be fantastic.

I have a problem with one of my gliders not having soft fur. She's on the same diet as the others and I took her to the vet and it didn't help. I'm hoping a new diet will help her out.
Health related
Sep 28 2016
03:08:24 AM
www.thepetglider.com/glider-care-info/nutrition-system#Recipe

here is the recipe, you need to order the multu vitamins from this site because they are part of the diet and very important. DO NOT USE SOME OTHER MULTIVITAMIN, these vitamins are made specifically for this diet.
Health related
Sep 28 2016
03:16:53 AM
once she is on a good healthy diet her fur will look alot better after a month or 2. I really think this is a great diet because of the change I seen in my gliders. the first time i made it i used water melon, cantaloupe, blueberrys, and strawberries for fruit and for veggies i used green beans, squash, carrots, and collards. the next time i used banana, kiwi, strawberry, and mango for fruit and snow peas, spinach, sweet potato, and squash. I like to use 2 green veggies, 1 orange, and then a whatever when picking the veggies that way they are getting a wider variety of vitamins but never use more than 1 orange colored veggie cuz too much vitamin A is not good for them and just as a side not too much vitamin D is not good either.
Health related
Sep 28 2016
03:27:01 AM
Health related
Sep 29 2016
12:04:04 PM
Christy626 Glider 51 Posts
TPG (the pet glider) is what I use and mine love it. I make 2 batches with different fruits and veggies and alternate so they don't get the same every night. Freeze in ice cube trays and vacuum seal the bags I put them in. Takes me about 25 minutes to make a couple months worth. Cost is reasonable too. Its like $25 when I go and get all the stuff I need. I like fresh myself and work for a holistic pet food company and feed raw for dogs and cats and thats why I decided on the TPG. I like the raw food diet if possible for all critters.
Health related
Sep 29 2016
01:28:25 PM
Do these have to be frozen? I like super fresh food the best. I have yet to feed my glider frozen food.
What is a good diet?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
What is a good diet?