GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Glider died
Glider died
Question
Dec 07 2016
10:59:16 AM
Hello,
I have a question. My gliders mate passed on a few days ago. I have had them for about 3 years. They are going to be 4. I'm not exactly sure of their age or birthday because they were bounced around alot before me. I want to do what is best for my remaining glider. Will she be alright on her own or do I need to find a home with another glider(S) for her? I loved them dearly and want to make sure she gets the best care.
Thank you
Question
Dec 07 2016
11:45:27 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss.
As for your remaining glider, it really depends on her personality, some do adapt and live well on their own, aand others show signs of stress, there is no way to predict for sure.
What you can do is keep taking care of her, maybe giving her more attention than she already received, and observe how she adapts.
If after a while she seems to adapt well, just keep on the same routine.
However, if she starts showing signs of stress and lonelyness, such as stereotypical behavior (always doing the same thing over and over again), then she may need a new cage mate (and then, there are several possibilities other than giving her up, you can also adopt/rescue another glider by then)
Question
Dec 07 2016
07:56:57 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
I agree with sjusovare. The best way to tell is to keep an eye on her and see how she does. It's obvious you care deeply about them and I'm sure you'll be able to find the best solution for you and your remaining glider so that you can stay together and maintain your bond.
While most people believe gliders do better with a mate, I had a very positive experience with a single glider. I was able to spend a lot of time with her so that definitely affected my decision. So sorry for your loss. Wishing you the best!
Question
Dec 09 2016
11:24:17 AM
Rbeav Starting Member 2 Posts
Thank you. I have been watching her and saved the signs of depression. She seems to be doing alright. She licks me and then like nibble bites me, which is new. She was never the friendliest little thing, but she likes me and was always more ready to explore instead of wanting to cozy up, opposite of her sister. I am wanting to get more toys for her to play with at night. I'm at a loss for what kinds to get that will keep her entertained and let her exercise, other than her wheel. They used to play together all night. Breaks my heart. She loves this cat ball I got. It's tiny with another ball in it for noise.
Question
Dec 10 2016
01:48:50 AM
Getting more toys for her is a great idea. Bird toys are a good option. Most pet stores have informed workers and will be able to advise. I haven't thought of cat toys but I'm glad you suggested it and I'm going to look into it. I wouldn't be surprised if she becomes more affectionate and wants to cozy up more. Playing together (like in a tent or glider proof room) is a great way to spend time together and strengthen your bond even more.
Question
Dec 10 2016
11:50:59 AM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
Choose your cat/bird toys very carefully. Avoid all toys containing catnip, cotton string or rope, which can snag nails and amputate toes.

Plastic toddler toys, like Fischer Price, can often be found at thrift stores for a couple of dollars. The dollar stores have many all plastic toys,bracelets and baskets that can be strung together and hung in the cage.
Question
Dec 10 2016
08:12:25 PM
Great advice jdching, thanks!
Question
Dec 10 2016
08:36:12 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Sorry for your loss.
Glider died

GliderGossip GliderGossip