Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
They didn't touch their food last night
Food, Diet
Dec 08 2016
07:07:13 PM
Before I start I just want to say that I know this isn't a complete diet and I will be changing it to BML or HPW, I am still doing research on different diets. I've only had them for a few weeks and they've been fed pellets their whole life. So this diet I am giving them now is better than what they've ever had. But I will be upgrading to something complete very soon.

This morning when I went to take their plate out I noticed that it had barely been touched. Usually, they pick out the fruits and vegetables, or they lick it clean. I feed them zucchini, squash, raspberries, and blue berries. I then mix their fruits and veggies in greek yogurt. I usually switch the yogurt up between strawberry or raspberry flavor, but last night I changed it to mixed berry flavor. Could it be because of that? I don't know, maybe they don't like the taste of the mixed berries. It makes me upset because they barely touched anything. Any advice on what I can do to get them to eat? I unfortunately bought a 10 pack of the mixed berry flavor. And I don't want to waste it. Also any advice on picky eaters? Thanks!

Food, Diet
Dec 08 2016
08:05:45 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
Well I don't like mixed berry yogurt so maybe they don't either ;) Be careful with yogurt... you can feed them too much of it if you're doing that every day. Make sure they're only getting a little bit, and I recommend switching it out regularly. Like sometimes give them hard boiled egg instead, or plain chicken. When I used to mix all the fruits and veggies together like that, our gliders ate a lot less as well. Also, in my experience (we have 6 gliders) they almost never eat zucchini or squash. So I would say switch those... cucumber, carrots, and red pepper are favorites in our house. For fruits they love melon and apple the most, but berries are great too. We always offer 3-4 fruits and 3-4 veggies per night so they can pick what they want, and we alternate as much as possible.
Food, Diet
Dec 08 2016
08:12:17 PM
cocoapuff Joey Visit cocoapuff's Photo Album SC, USA 48 Posts
I don't really care for mixed berry myself but I assumed they would like it! My fault lol And they absolutely love their zucchini and squash, that's why I was so worried when they didn't touch it. Thank you for the advice about the yogurt, I will definitely start limiting it more. Also how much yogurt do give yours? And Is avocado okay? The vet tech at my vet's office said that it was fine but I remember reading some where that isn't good for them. I don't know maybe I'm wrong.
Is there a list of approved fruits and vegetables on here? I would be curious to know everything I can give them!

Edited by - cocoapuff on Dec 08 2016 08:13:04 PM
Food, Diet
Dec 08 2016
08:24:32 PM
Oh that's odd! Do you cook the zucchini and squash? Ours will pick at it cooked, but won't even touch it raw. We do feed ours avocado occasionally. It's fine, but it is high-fat so you have to feed it occasionally like with almonds. They ADORE avocado and almond, it's like treats for them. They will literally take chunks of food and throw them out of the way, scrambling to get to the avocado lol. There is a great list here: http://www.critterlove.com/uploads/1/0/3/5/10355506/_sugar_glider_safe_fruits__veggies.pdf
It even shows the Ca:P ratios. You should keep that ratio as close to 2:1 as possible. You can do this by balancing their foods out - for example, papaya is higher, but banana is lower.
We feed yogurt when we're out of HPW, and sometimes we feed eggs. The thing with yogurt is that it's dairy and it has bacteria and such in it, plus other ingredients that are iffy (make sure you never feed them any yogurt with artificial sweeteners like aspartame). So it's okay, just alternate proteins. We give them around 1 TBSP most of the time, for 2-3 nights to use it up, then take a break from yogurt.
Our gliders favorite foods are: apple, banana, melon, cucumber, carrot, red pepper, yellow pepper, avocado, sweet potato, hard boiled eggs, plain cooked chicken, and almonds.
Also, sometimes weather, moon cycles, and stuff like that alters their appetites. Don't worry too much. But if it happens again, you should probably call your vet. Gliders can get sick which can cause appetite loss. But really, sometimes low appetite happens, just like with people.

Edited by - astockd1 on Dec 08 2016 08:25:41 PM
Food, Diet
Dec 08 2016
08:46:26 PM
They eat it raw, they eat it more than they eat their fruit. But I'm going to start getting a variety of fruits so they have more options. I haven't tried cooking it, but I might just to see how they react. I did read the label on the yogurt making sure it didn't have any artificial sweeteners, and it didn't. And thank god you said one tablespoon! That's around what I give them. But sometimes it looks like a lot. I will check out that list you gave me, thank you so much! And that's so weird with the moon cycles and weather, they sure are some odd little creatures.
Food, Diet
Dec 08 2016
08:51:45 PM
You're welcome =) 1 TBSP isn't standard because there isn't a standard for yogurt. When feeding HPW, you give each glider 1 TBSP of the mixture, so I just went with that. You can also feed them honey regularly. They're naturally sap suckers, so it's a nice addition. If you notice any yellowish coloring of their fur or if their fur seems to have cracks in it, that usually means they aren't getting the proper nutrients. A more varied diet is always best!
Food, Diet
Dec 08 2016
08:58:41 PM
Oh my gosh, I am so glad you said that! I was playing with them early this morning and noticed their fur was "cracking". I assumed it was their diet. I recently ordered rep-cal and the multivitamin so maybe that will improve their fur? Also do you recommend BML or HPW? I've heard great things about both. I really like how HPW has it's own mix. I'm hoping that this "cracking" of the fur will go away once I get them on a stable complete diet!

Food, Diet
Dec 08 2016
09:04:17 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
It might just be a bad hair day, or a change in humidity.
Food, Diet
Dec 08 2016
09:08:11 PM
That makes sense because the weather in South Carolina is very confused most of the time.
Food, Diet
Dec 08 2016
09:09:38 PM
You mentioned that they used to be fed pellets regularly... I would bet money that's why their fur looks like that. It takes time to go back to normal, I don't know how long, but you'll be able to tell that they're getting healthier as their diet improves. Even what you have them on now is much better than pellets, but it isn't perfect. I recommend HPW because I find it easier and it's more flexible, but both are great. Supplements are nice, just be sure to be careful with how much you give - never sprinkle it on their food unless you've measured, because too many nutrients can be bad just like not enough is.
Food, Diet
Dec 09 2016
05:30:33 AM
I just ordered my HPW sample pack! Oh and a quick update, I didn't give them yogurt last night and they ate 90% of their food last night (they usually always leave some fruit behind). Thanks so much for all the advice!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders