Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Gliderpedia Discussion
New at this.
New at this.
Question
Dec 21 2016
02:40:45 PM
Hello, I just got a 9 week old glider named Dobby one week ago. I am curious on how long the bonding process can take. I left him alone for the first couple of days. I want to be able to carry him in his zipper carry pouch but I am not sure how to get him in. I have left it open at the bottom of his cage and waited and he has only gotten in once. Is there a faster and easier way to get him in? As of right now I can put my hand in his cage and feed him fruit. He has come on to my hand and licked and bit me but if I even move the slightest, he runs and hides. He has also lunged at me, is this normal? Do I need to possibly was my hands first? Could he be smelling my cats?

I read that they like it pretty warm. I have a heat rock that doesn't give much heat. I do not feel comfortable using a heat lamp so I bought a fan forced space heater. It doesn't get too warm and turns off after it reaches a desired temperature. What I am wondering is, since it is fan based would it affect him in a negative way to have a very light constant warm breeze?

Also, he poops everywhere! I know i can't control it but is it normal that he goes all over his bed, in his food bowl, and in his pouch?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I'm doing this glider mommy thing correctly.
Question
Dec 21 2016
03:43:22 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
Welcome, DobbysMOM!

Yes, lunging and crabbing is normal for a young glider. He is scared, and it is the only way he knows how to defend himself.

Definitely wash your hands first, and not with strawberry scented soap.

To transfer him from the sleeping pouch to the bonding pouch, put a treat in the one you want him to go into and then hold the other upside down over it. He will probably go into the new pouch on his own. If not, start rolling up the bottom of his pouch until he is forced out.

Heat rocks are not considered safe for sugar gliders. They can get dehydrated and even burned. As long as he has a pouch he will be fine. Buy some fleece and cut up some little squares like blankets for his pouch. I put fleece scraps on top of my cages and they pull them through the bars and sometimes put them in their pouch.

I sometimes use a small space heater in the glider room, but I don't aim it directly at the cage. It is enough to take the chill out of the room. I believe they are ok with temps between 65* and 85*. If I am wrong about that, someone will tell us.

A very young glider might poop in the food dish or pouch, but they usually outgrow that.
Question
Dec 21 2016
06:34:46 PM
Blood biter Glider Visit Blood biter's Photo Album TX, USA 65 Posts
Congrats on your new suggie and welcome to the life as a suggie mom the bonding process length Varys from glider to glider some bond in a few weeks others can take years but it sounds like your making great progress so far ! To help with bonding you can stufff little pieces of fleece in your bra or somthing and get your scent all over it and put it in their pouch so they get used to your smell and associate it as safe a breeze from a fan won't hurt him. Another thing it is recomended to have them a buddy it can also help the bonding process are so I have been told . Keep handeling and carrying him around in the bonding bag your in the right direction. Heat rocks are a big no no so I'd get it out as soon as you can they've been known to cause burns on suggergliders.
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 21 2016
09:29:49 PM
Tveit_Momma Glider Visit Tveit_Momma's Photo Album 197 Posts
Welcome to suggie world! Everyone seems to have answered your questions pretty well Good luck with Dobby!
Question
Dec 21 2016
09:33:31 PM
DobbysMOM Starting Member 4 Posts
Thank You Everyone! I am super excited to have him.
New at this.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Gliderpedia Discussion
New at this.