GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Not sure what classification for this ?
Question
Jan 28 2017
01:42:07 PM
Can sugar gliders learn their names?

I feel like I posted about this before. How my Lulu and Skadoosh, but especially Lulu seems to recognize when I call their names. Ollie doesn't really respond at all to his name, but he's had several I'm sure in his lifetime. Lulu and Skadoosh have the original names given when they were first adopted from a breeder by original family.

I have noticed Lulu's response when I call her name, she will either come to me or at least look at me when I call out her name, whether inside or outside the cage. I've noticed this for quite some time now, but cannot recall when I first saw her reaction to her name. I haven't thoroughly tested this though outside the cage in an area she could not be contained in, nor when she's sleeping in the pouch, but I'm curious if there is any factual or at least indication of such knowledge out there about them.
Question
Jan 28 2017
07:38:44 PM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
I've noticed that too, but only with one of my gliders. His name is Finn and sometimes I lose him in my room. I usually just call his name and within a few minutes he shows me where he is hiding. And if he's doing something he's not suppose to do (like picking things up from my desk and throwing it over the side) I'll be like Finn stop and he'll stop and stare at me before continuing.
Question
Jan 28 2017
11:57:32 PM
arcticfurmom Joey Visit arcticfurmom's Photo Album CO, USA 22 Posts
Maverick is the only one of mine that responds to his name. He's also the oldest, and the only one that still has the name his previous owner gave him. The other eight have all been renamed. He'll pop his head out of his pouch when I call him, almost every time.
Question
Jan 29 2017
03:32:57 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
Mines do not respond to their names, or rather, it seems everyone responds to everyone else's name but the one I call.
I think it's rather the intonation and sound direction they respond to, rather than the actual name said.

Most of them being born here (but the 4 olders), they've all kept their original names, however, I rarely deal with them individually since a colony of 12 is a bit overwhelming during out of cage time (it's rather "BEWARE GLIDERS EVERYWHERE"), which can also explain that they don't really know who is who.

There is one word they understand above all, oddly, is "mealy"... then I'm sure everyone rushes to me, no matter where they were hiding.

Edited by - sjusovare on Jan 29 2017 03:35:56 AM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders