Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Neglected, maybe bonded glider
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 23 2017
12:08:32 AM
The professor in the college I attend to has a animal house and one of the volunteers bought a baby glider and left it there. She asked us not to bother it and it's name is Umi, a baby female. The owner just left it there and left a piece of her cloth there. Everytime I visited Umi she will always be in her pouch. I finally had the courage to feed her honey using my hand. She came and licked my hand but not that clean and not very good at sensing where is the honey. I need to place it infront of her or she'll just go back into her pouch. I finally made her crawl out of her pouch after the 4th try of giving her honey and she clicked onto my hand and went back in while shivering. She kept shivering. I touched her while she's in her pouch and she growled at me after touching her for some time and jumped out of her pouch keep jumping around her cage. One of the volunteers told me the owner only brought Umi back her place one during sem break and left her there all alone in the animal house again. I've never seen the owner and the volunteer told me she never seen her either after buying Umi. I really want to take care of Umi but I'm not sure if she's bonded or not and I'm not sure if it will give negative impact on the owner and the baby glider. Im not really sure what to do... I left after she kept jumping around the cage. I felt really bad for scaring her as she kept shivering. I dont know what to do....
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 23 2017
08:07:23 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Starfish, I have read your post many times and keep waiting for someone more knowledgeable to respond. I honestly don't know what to say other than the fact that I find it very disturbing. Thank goodness you're there and showing concern and compassion. It sure sounds like this glider is being neglected and it could lead to devastating consequences. I would encourage you to find out all the information you can. The glider may not be bonded now but with the right care and attention she could be. Good luck and please keep us posted.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 24 2017
10:54:29 AM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
I'm not sure what you should do, but I can help you understand her behavior a little.

Sugar gliders are nocturnal so they stay and sleep in the pouch all day. After waking up they tend to shiver or at least mine do. If the sugar glider is scared they will make a crabbing noise and in some cases try and attack your hand. Running around the cage doesn't necessarily mean she's scared. I have a girl who does that every so often.

Good luck!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders