Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Nervous about first vet visit
Question
Feb 24 2017
08:19:41 PM
Hey everyone:) so I've had my babies for a little over a month now and we've made some good progress! I've made them an appointment at the vet for nail trimmings and a wellness check next Wednesday. I'm so nervous!! I really don't know what to expect...they're still crabby when taken out of their pouch, although they're a lot better than they were, but I'm still kinda scared of how this will go. Any tips on making this visit as painless as possible? Will I be allowed to go back with my babies while they're checking them? I plan on bringing lots of treats to reward them because I know the poor things will be so scared. I love them so much I hate when I know that they are frightened. Thanks in advance!
Question
Feb 24 2017
09:35:45 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I understand your anxiousness over this, it's completely normal.

As far as I know for visits such as this you would most likely be in the examination room with your gliders. Surgeries and perhaps some other procedures would be different, but for well visits and most likely nail trims you most likely will be in the exam room.

The Dr. and those in the room are trained to work with animals. If they are experienced with gliders than they should know what to expect behavior wise. Your glider's behavior is unpredictable until you see how they actually do in this situation. Besides that, each glider has different personalities and so one may do better than the other.

They will get over it, even if they are upset and may respond differently for a bit, they are fairly resilient creatures and will be okay afterwards.
Question
Feb 24 2017
09:37:07 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Congratulations on your new babies!
I just took my little one to the vet a couple weeks ago so I understand how nerve wracking it is. The first thing to keep in mind is that vets are professionals. They are prepared and very good at what they do. This was a great comfort to me since, like you, I had a new baby who was very crabby and not bonded to me yet. I was allowed to go back with her and be present while they examined her (the only time I wasn't present is when they were running tests on my other glider and she had to go under anesthesia. Had I asked, they probably would've agreed). They had a wide variety of treats on hand. Because my glider was already stressed, they did most of the exam while she was still in her bonding pouch. Cuddle them as much as possible, even while still in their pouch. They will feel your love and it will help reassure them.
Question
Feb 24 2017
11:41:01 PM
hayhay97 Joey 12 Posts
Thank you guys!! I hope it goes well, my biggest fear is one of them will get loose! Thanks for the reassurance :)
Question
Feb 25 2017
01:44:22 AM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
I deal with this fear all the time. Just make sure the door to the exam room is closed (and the seal under the door is tight) whenever your gliders are not secure in their pouch.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders