GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
First Time Glider Parents!
Question
Mar 05 2017
08:19:12 PM
Hello!!!

We just bought our first glider yesterday. Her name is Rue and they man who sold her to us said she was 6 months out of the pouch. I have always wanted a glider so we were super excited to bring her home! However, we are having a hard time bonding with her. We purchased her a cage, a hanging pouch as well as a carrying pouch. Every time I open her cage, whether to attempt to bond or feed her she starts crabbing - she has also bitten me numerous times, even drawing blood on my husband. From what I have read in research, when she bites I am not to react and just take the bite - IT HURTS!!! This is only her second day with us so I know it will take some time. I did manage to coax her out of her hanging pouch with some blueberries and mealworms, which she ate out of my hand, she ran around my arms and chest for a moment then ran back into her cage and into her pouch. I don't know if she is just scared or if she is traumatized. What do I need to do?? How do I go about trying to bond with her???

Thank you from a fellow glider-mom!!!
Question
Mar 06 2017
08:46:52 PM
RedGliderLover Starting Member 9 Posts
She may just need her time to adjust to her new surroundings, but I have a question, what did you do on your first day with her?
Question
Mar 06 2017
08:49:57 PM
mrigsby Starting Member 0 Posts
When we got her home we put her in her cage with her pouch and offered her some food. We attempted to bond with her, letting her sniff around, but she didn't want anything to do with us. I gave her some time and tried again. I want to continue each day trying to interact with her as I don't want to be too distant.
Question
Mar 06 2017
09:02:14 PM
RedGliderLover Starting Member 9 Posts
On the first day most suggest leaving them alone to adjust, but if you did not stress her I'm sure she's just dealing with a new home and new giant creatures that are outside of her cage . Some gliders take longer than others to bond, and they all react to things differently. I would suggest to keep doing what you're doing, but if she bites you do try to not jerk your hand back. This will show her that biting you does not make you go away, meaning if you remove your hand she will continue to bite you as she is getting what she wants. Try to give her something to chew on, like eucalyptus branches, to help stop biting and give her something to use her teeth on. If you've tried to give her a treat or let her sniff you and she doesn't want anything to do with you, you can just be near the cage and talk quietly or just be there. If you have any spare clothing you could cut that up and place it in her sleeping pouch to get her used to your scent. When she eats out of your hand talk to her so she associates your voice with treats. The most important thing to remember is this will take a lot of effort and time, but it will be rewarding when your glider finally bonds to you. Also try to have a schedule, this will let her expect what you will do. I hope this helps!
Question
Mar 06 2017
09:41:13 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
Get some fleece from the fabric store or a fleece throw from Walmart ($2.88) and cut up some small pieces. Wear them inside your clothes or put them in your bed to get your scent on them, then put them in her sleeping pouch and on top of the cage.

Give her a few days to get used to your scent and your voice. Bonding doesn't happen overnight. She is scared because everything is new to her, so go slow and she will eventually come around.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat