Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Female gliders in heat and biting
Laws, Rules, & Regulations
Mar 14 2017
02:45:50 AM
My female sugar gliders are in heat and one was riding and biting the other. These girls are new to me so I'm not sure if this is a monthly occurrence but this is the first time any noise of theirs has woken me up. I keep reading about mating wounds so I separated them and now the one that was doing the biting has been yapping away all night trying to reach the other one. Is it safe to leave them together during this time? Will this stop or happen every month? I just don't want the less dominant baby to get hurt. They won't let me hold them yet to really check for wounds under the fur but so far I don't see any. I don't really have the space to keep them separated and don't want to stress either of them out but I'm not sure it's safe for them to be together in one cage. Do they always make that noise even when it's friendly mating? Help!
Mar 14 2017
05:40:31 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
My girls do this, too. Clare will relentlessly mount Guenevere all night. I always feel so bad for Guenevere! I hate to watch it. But, luckily, as persistent as Clare is with her dominance, she's also gentle thank goodness. She doesn't get all Miss Dominant every month, but every once in a while. I always check Guenevere the next morning, and just keep listening carefully throughout the night for any actual fighting. But no, I don't remove Clare. It's part of their natural behavior to display dominance. So, as long as nobody gets hurt and they don't fight, then they should be fine.

But do watch for wounds and fighting...if that happens then separation for the night might be inevitable.

How long have they been cagemates? How old are they?
Mar 14 2017
06:54:54 AM
jinglebells0518 Joey 25 Posts
They are 8 months old and I'm not sure how long the previous owners had them but I think it was close to 7 months. I'm not sure they have ever done this before because this is pretty close to the first month they've ever been in heat. I did separate them last night because I was so worried and couldn't find any information on the topic but I'll leave then together and see what happens.
Mar 14 2017
08:43:11 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
I did the same thing the first time Clare was bullying everyone. But I felt bad separating her.

So just keep an eye on your gliders when she's being like that. Hopefully she'll be gentle.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders