Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
My pet needs a new home
considering giving gliders away
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 20 2017
12:42:34 AM
first let me say I have had my gliders for 2-3 years now. I got them while in college and I have enjoyed having them as pets. I have to admit they are very hard to maintain (cage cleaning, spending time with them, preparing food etc). I would say they have relatively bonded with me. the gliders are both female, I would guess they are 5-6 years old.

Recently my friends pet sugar glider died and now he has one that is very lonely. he told me that he would be willing to take my gliders if I wanted to give them away. Before his glider died I told him that while i like my gliders, i find them to be very time consuming with little reward overall. Its hard to spend time with them because they are nocturnal and wake up late at night. sometimes it feels like im taking care of pets that i rarely if ever get to play with.

I recently got a new job and will be living on my own soon. this makes me feel that it will only get more difficult to take care of them as I will be the only one to clean their cage, feed them, and take care all the other aspects of owning gliders. I don't know how much time i can give them in addition to my job and everything else.

Part of me doesn't want to give them up because I do like them however, this seems like a good opportunity to give them a new home responsibly and help my friends lonely sugar glider get new companions. I didn't plan on giving them up but with my friends offer to take them i've been considering it. His glider is around the same age as mine and he told me it has been over grooming since losing her buddy. i'm sure my friend would be a forever home for them and this would be the best place for them to live if not with me.

That being said, I would like advice or input from anyone willing to give it regarding this situation. my first instinct was to keep them but I worry that because they are still young, a day might come when i need to give them away and then I would have to find them a home with a complete stranger who may not have experience or know the commitment needed for gliders.

Thanks
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 01 2017
02:54:32 PM
BrenPaul Starting Member 0 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by marsupial

first let me say I have had my gliders for 2-3 years now. I got them while in college and I have enjoyed having them as pets. I have to admit they are very hard to maintain (cage cleaning, spending time with them, preparing food etc). I would say they have relatively bonded with me. the gliders are both female, I would guess they are 5-6 years old.

Recently my friends pet sugar glider died and now he has one that is very lonely. he told me that he would be willing to take my gliders if I wanted to give them away. Before his glider died I told him that while i like my gliders, i find them to be very time consuming with little reward overall. Its hard to spend time with them because they are nocturnal and wake up late at night. sometimes it feels like im taking care of pets that i rarely if ever get to play with.

I recently got a new job and will be living on my own soon. this makes me feel that it will only get more difficult to take care of them as I will be the only one to clean their cage, feed them, and take care all the other aspects of owning gliders. I don't know how much time i can give them in addition to my job and everything else.

Part of me doesn't want to give them up because I do like them however, this seems like a good opportunity to give them a new home responsibly and help my friends lonely sugar glider get new companions. I didn't plan on giving them up but with my friends offer to take them i've been considering it. His glider is around the same age as mine and he told me it has been over grooming since losing her buddy. i'm sure my friend would be a forever home for them and this would be the best place for them to live if not with me.

That being said, I would like advice or input from anyone willing to give it regarding this situation. my first instinct was to keep them but I worry that because they are still young, a day might come when i need to give them away and then I would have to find them a home with a complete stranger who may not have experience or know the commitment needed for gliders.

Thanks

Default, miscellaneous
Apr 07 2017
08:51:52 PM
Kwerner7116 Joey Visit Kwerner7116's Photo Album 12 Posts
I would say that if you feel as though you can't take care of them properly, giving them to your friend may be a good option. Especially if his/her glider is self harming due to being lonely. Your gliders may even enjoy having a new addition to their colony.
I've contemplated giving mine away as well, I've only had mine for 7 months. Im a recent college graduate and an in the process of buying a new home, etc. but I've bonded to my twin boys and they've bonded to me. The thought of getting rid of them is just a slight thought, I'm not going to. But I feel like you've already made your decision. You should do what's best for your gliders and yourself in the long run.
They definitely need interaction with their owners, but in my opinion gliders need each other more than they need us. So you not being able to spend a lot of time with them isn't the worse thing in the world.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
My pet needs a new home